• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Perfect PUBLIC LAND TREESTAND?

Hey guys,

I took a video of my favorite way of climbing without sticks.

For a stand I hunt out of a Trophyline Tree Saddle. It is a light, sling style seat, similar to the Guido's Web.

This method is: less than half the weight of sticks (4.5lbs), quiet as a Lone Wolf, nearly as fast as a climber (if you tie off and move your safety rope constantly), comfortable, easy (you sit and climb) and above all SAFE!!! You will see in the video that I am connected the entire time past the first step.

Lots of guys carry sticks and a seperate platform. No need for the sticks with this set-up.

In the video I am climbing the "perfect tree." But it is easily adapted if the tree forks, or has some limbs to navigate around.

On a forked tree: I will climb to the fork, hook a seperate rope above it (then tie into that), hang in the saddle, then unhook the climber and re-hook above the fork. (I keep the climber tethered to the end of my tie off rope).

Leveling the platform can be done whenever needed using that method too.

If say a tree has branches 15' up, I will climb up to them with the foot climber. Once there I can pull out my one pound ladder and finish climbing. If I want the platform to stand on, I unhook it from below the limbs and re-hook it where I want to hunt from.

Because I did the video solo, and still wanted to show some detail, I dissapear around the 16 foot mark (in about 3 minutes). I continued to climb up to 20', but edited it out because there is nothing to see. Then I show some footage of climbing down. Up and down 20' in under 8 minutes.

I use a Bachmann knot to adjust my main line, it is much easier than the standard Prusik.

I hope it gives you guys some ideas!!!

Good stuff and thanks for sharing that info.

I'm trying to teach my son that using a climber may be better than the old ladder stand but haven't convinced him yet maybe when I tell him that he has to move the ladder stand himself he might change his mind grin

So all you need is the platform and a harness?

Works better than the method i've used...Jump and grab on, then scurry up another few branches, then realize your uncomfortable and have very few shooting lanes, climb down two branches, jump 10' and hope you can walk to your next bright idea laugh