• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding outlet in ceiling for projector

hoggs222

I have a finished basement and I am looking to install an outlet in the ceiling for a projector. I have no real easy way to access a power source without ripping out a bunch of the ceiling.

I did notice that we have a hard-wired smoke detector running in the exact truss that I need to install an outlet.

Can I tie into this smoke detector to add a box? The house was built pre '89, so there is no need for hard wired detectors.

im just an amateur here but pretty sure u cannot (or at the very least should not) touch your smoke detector line. that is for smoke/carbon monoxide detectors only and would be a strong lapse in judgment to touch that. what if u had a fire and house burns down, then fire inspector finds out a smoke detector was not connected? dont think your home insurance would appreciate that.

anyhoo to your out let issue, you will probably have to find a light or outlet source to connect new outlet to & make sure u dont overload circuit in the process.

My guess is he wasn't going to unhook the smoke detector and use it for the projector, he was just going to basically add a junction box and feed the projector off of this.

Can it be done? Yes, if the total amp draw is less than the current capacity. Can it be done and still meet code or not interfere with the detector? That I am not sure of. But AF brings up a good point on insurance. If you do have a fire and you modified the wiring illegally and don't have it inspected then your insurance company may not pay out the claim.

im just an amateur here but

Then probably shouldn't be giving electrical advice.

Your smoke detectors are probably on a general purpose circuit to begine with so there would be no problem tapping into that box.

The hard wired smokes have a battery backup just like the normal smokes so if the circuit ever trips there still is a backup.

Check the panel schedule to make sure they are not on a dedicated circuit. If not I wouldn't lose any sleep adding a receptacle to it.

just trying to pass on some friendly info since i did PASS my own home inspection.

the pro's can get in a tizzy round here when good average ppl try & help each other out

have at your project anyway you perceive ok

ill stay off & just watch from the sidelines as an amateur

well not sure what he means by "no reason for a hardwired detector"

if he wants to add the outlet from that within the detector housing, should not be an issue

.....but if he is thinking bout un wiring the detector and using housing as "junction box" for outlet, i would never consider it smart to unwire a smoke detector, pure safety issue. what if the battery or battery wires malfunction or fire starts directly in that area and that detctor is no longer wired to rest of detectors in house, then an accident happens and fire investigator or insureance co find out detector was tampered with?

just connecting the outlet to the detector MAY be ok, but to disconnect the detector completely from the circuit to use housing as junction box for outlet certainly would not be.

Absolutely bad advice is both expensive & dangerous, could not agree with you more.....i also think disconnecting a hardwired detector could be up that very alley.

You guys are completely wrong. Bad advice is both expensive and dangerous. I'm just trying to eliminate the bad advice and keep it safe for everyone.

I hope that is true. It seems to me, though, you commented that he shouldn't give advice and then you said essentially the same thing.

Then why aren't you correcting him about removing the smoke detector?

Maybe I'm wrong but the OP said in the first post, "Can I tie into this smoke detector to add a box? I didnt see anything that suggested that was going to disable the smoke detector from the circuit. Not sure where that notion came into play.

I think that we all agree that the professional sparkies on these boards are a valuable resource. I'm happy that they admonish those of us who like to spew electrical advice like we know anything more than we read in a Home Depot electrical book. We aren't talking about bad fishing advice, we are talking about electrical advice that could kill someone. I have ZERO problem with how the real sparkies on this board control the flow of information

I think that we all agree that the professional sparkies on these boards are a valuable resource. I'm happy that they admonish those of us who like to spew electrical advice like we know anything more than we read in a Home Depot electrical book. We aren't talking about bad fishing advice, we are talking about electrical advice that could kill someone. I have ZERO problem with how the real sparkies on this board control the flow of information

There's a difference between admonishing someone for giving advice that could be dangerous, and admonishing someone for stating they're an amateur. These are internet forums, you need to take the information you receive with a grain of salt, yes even from the so called "professionals". As they are not the ones who are taking the project on.

I hope that is true. It seems to me, though, you commented that he shouldn't give advice and then you said essentially the same thing.

Kind of but not really. The main difference is that I wasn't guessing. And nobody said anything about removing a smoke detector, just adding another device to the existng circuit.

So when someone asks for advice and a qualified person answers it, along with a comment about others not being qualified making guesses, some of you get your undies in a bunch. I'm guessing you won't be getting too many of us pro's to try to give advice when asked for it then. There's nothing in it for us. We're just trying to share knowledge that not everyone has.

my perspective

i totally agree there can/maybe a difference in advice from pro to novice. from my point of view there have been questions with people afraid to answer them as "even though professional advice is being taken, it is not the professional doing the work so unless said professional is right next to homeowner when doing work and guiding step by step, professional advice is a great first step but somewhat irrelevant if said homeowner does not know difference between hot or neutral wire".

I openly stated i am not a pro, thus letting person take my info with a grain of salt, even though i did pass my own home inspection so do think i am knowledgable for some elecrical "basics".

Maybe in my next attempt at helping someone, i will clearly state i am not an elecrical professional and instead of offering "advice" i will label it "things to think about or consider".

one can truly never know the knowledge of any poster so any poster reading replies on any subject should always understand it is their own personal issue and up to them to do things properly and safely for any subject being posted.

i understand why a professional would get upset over a weekend warrior thinking they know just as much as a pro, but i clearly stated i was not a pro, and the poster could take my advice as they chose. But for someone to tell me i should not be sharing advice (as it was just purely advice and no one putting a gun to someones head to use it) i think is a little out of line. If i acted or pretended i was a pro then say im not, i can understand the frustration. no difft than talking to neighbor and not watching them actually do the work. Liability is always on homeowner when doing home improvements themselves and up to them to do own homework.

k......im done.....if one feels i dont have expertise to offer info, just block me from it, otherwise sorry, i was just trying to be friendly

Then probably shouldn't be giving electrical advice.

The problem is the aggressive response. Maybe a response would be you are essentially correct however you might want to do this. Your response was taken as an attack. It is not that hard to be polite if you just re read what you post and see if it can be taken as an insult.

This has been covered many, many times. Bad electrical advice is just that, bad and dangerous.

Nobody is saying that someone dosen't have the skills to do a job, just saying that there are way to many things to consider in this field before advice is given and that without knowing all of the potential issues, advice shouldn't be given.

I will admit that I am not an expert in all areas of electrical work, but I do have 18 years experience, hold a Minnesota class A Jouneymans license, am a forman and run a crew of 2-5 people, and in an average year I run about $750K in electrical work.

I believe those qualifications give me the ability to offer advice and at the same time say when bad advice is given. I have a code book to go by (and while we are at it, doing work "to code" is nothing to be proud of, as the code book is a minimum standard) and I push to have work done by qulified persons because every article in the code book is there because someone died. Think about it, EVERY rule there is because someone DIED.

Forgive me for protecting my trade, and possibly someones life.

I got it figured out. I found a way to tie into a different outlet.

Wow. I didn't think this would start a pro vs. weekend warrior battle.

Thanks for all of the advice from all! I never thought of the insurance factor.

Now I just have to wait for the screen for the projector to arrive!

I got it figured out. I found a way to tie into a different outlet.

Wow. I didn't think this would start a pro vs. weekend warrior battle.

Thanks for all of the advice from all! I never thought of the insurance factor.

Now I just have to wait for the screen for the projector to arrive!

The million-dollar question is...does it meet or exceed code? smile

... (and while we are at it, doing work "to code" is nothing to be proud of, as the code book is a minimum standard) ...

NEC isn't inherently a quality standard is it?

I fully get your point, but for clarity I think it might be helpful to understand that.