• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

zoom

A quick search turned up more than a few threads on zooms! Just to left you will see a box and a search button. It actually works pretty good and will give you multiple pages of information on zoom lenses! Here are just a couple. Good luck with your lens choice!

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2818113/Need_lens_recommendations

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1850402/Zoom_lenses_Basic_s#Post1850402

I will add this, your budget comes very close to the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM lens price level. If you want to spend a bit less consider the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. This is a very popular and affordable lens, but it does not offer typical L-grade build, AF performance or image quality - especially at the longer end of the focal length range. The 70-300 L IS is a much higher grade lens than the 70-300 non-L IS lens as is true with most L lenses.

The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens is a favorite of a lot of folks, but at 12 years old when the 70-300 L was released, it starts to show its age. The 70-300 L has better image quality including better contrast/sharpness in most or all equivalent comparisons. The 70-300 L has a smoother focus ring, a better IS system and is weather sealed but is 100mm shorter. Many choices in this lens range make for tough decisions!

I use the 70-200 lens without too much of a hitch. I get some good distance (about 300 ft) on it with a 2X which is about what I typically shoot. What I've discovered after shooting a friend's 1000 mm lens, one can never have enough zoom. I found that even with 1000mm I still wanted to shoot further.

I paid 750 for my 70-200 through Tameron.

Forgive me for hyjacking this thread for a moment. I am looking for a midrange lens for my close ups I have a 18-35 mm lens (stock with camera) but am looking for some feed back on filling the distance from 18-70mm without being on my subject's nose.

Thanks

I'm one that is very happy with the 100-400L. If I've ever been dissatisfied with a shot, it was due to photographer error. I have plenty of razor sharp photos from the lens and a little adjustment with the levels will give you the contrast needed. The only drawback I've found is that this lens does like light. But, it performs much better in that category than a Sigma. A good used 100-400 can be had for around $1200 on Photography On The Net. I've bought and sold quite a few lenses there and have never even considered putting my 100-400 up for sale. It has paid for itself.