• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth Deer Hunt

We were thinking of applying for a youth hunt for my 14 yr old son. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the time? He wants to get out ahead of the regular season and I want him to have success.

You'll get opinions on it good and bad. Some will say go for it and others will say they can hunt during the regular season and don't need a special hunt.

If you choose to it can be a great time to make it all about him. Use it to teach him good safe practices and what deer hunting should be all about. If he is successful in getting a deer that should be a bonus and not the determining factor as to wether or not the hunt was successful.

I haven't had the opportunity to take a kid on a youth deer hunt but have done the youth duck hunt and enjoyed the time as much as if I was the one with the gun in my hand.

Make sure its something he wants to do and make it all about him.

DP said it perfectly. There are many that say it's unnecessary, and we're pandering to our youth.

In my experience I love it. I've hunted numerous regular firearms season deer hunts, and have very little positive experience with any of it. But of course I do not have my own private land to hunt, so I'm forced to contend with the masses for what public land is left available. I've even had rather unpleasant experiences on private land hunts.

I personally no longer feel safe during the regular firearms deer season, and I'm even more concerned about my kids.

The numerous "special" youth hunts, and general youth deer hunt, are great opportunities to spend time with your kids one on one, teaching them good, ethical ways to hunt big game, with very little competition for space, in a safe, quiet environment.

I'd recommend taking your kids out on the youth deer hunt. It's way more relaxed, and as stated earlier, you can make it all about them! My kids have nothing but great experiences with the early season youth hunts in Minnesota.

Iowa's youth season has become one of my favorite seasons to be in the woods. Go for it...there are many great memories out there waiting to be made!!

And BTW, not sure if MN is the same, but an Iowa youth tag carries over if not filled. If, for example, a youth doesn't fill their tag during youth season they can use it during any legal season...such as early ML.

Took my oldest daughter up to ripley for the youth bow hunt last year. GREAT experiance!!!!

She shot her first deer with a bow. Have not done the gun hunts yet but we have applied every year. hopefully with her preferance points she gets drawn.

Here are a few pics.

GEDC0180.jpg

GEDC0187-1.jpg

I took my cousin out for the WI youth hunt last fall. He shot a button buck with grandpa's old 30/30. He had a good time and was really pumped, but has not said a peep about going again this year. I think he has other stuff he might rather do like play on the xbox.