• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arrowhead Trout

Scudly

I thought at least Patrick would like this report.

The lone rainbow in Thompson Lake. I'm certain the stocking truck did not come this season. I waded the edge of the lake throwing a #9 spinner. This is an AO and C&R lake managed for quality trout. In four years I've yet to catch anything but stocker sized bows.

eb6db479.jpg

DTA member Salvelinus fontinalis told me the lupine peaked a few weeks back when he was at the BWCA. Still a few out there just not as plentiful.

3ec1c52c.jpg

One of the bigger brook trout came under a bridge. You can see the fast water on the right. He was at the top left in the slack water right at the edge of the current line. Caught on a #6 all silver PM.

5604a069.jpg

Here is the bridge looking downstream. Very fast water and tiring to wade as you had to use all your force not to get pushed over.

7572ac0a.jpg

This pool should look familiar to DTA'ers. It's one of our header photos. Not the Driftless but so beautiful. The seam on the left side had softer current and I caught a handful of 10-12" brook trout on spinner and worms this weekend.

4f8a2303.jpg

More of that lovely lupine.

d06dd240.jpg

We also caught walleye and smallies on the lake.

Scudly thanks for the great pics as always. i have never fished Thompson and i looked it up on the Lake Finder. it apears as of the last report not many rainbows survive for some reason but browns do. it would be interesting to talk to the DNR regarding future plans for Thompson. i know of a couple of lakes in the Ely area that were once only stocked with rainbows but now brookies are stocked. i think for some lakes brook trout and/or brown trout would be more suitable. good luck.

Patrick I am most impressed with how the brook trout survive the warm water. It was like a bath tub in the creeks with brook trout. Upper Cascade was colder but the rest of them I would guess 75. And the brook trout dominate. I did not catch any other species.

Thompson all I've ever caught was stocker sized bows and the action was consistent in previous years but not this year. Oh BTW some pig who camped at the Cascade sites used the stream as a place to dispose of his fish. Like six big brook trout heads and a dozen walleye skinned out and tossed in the water.

I think the DNR should do itself a favor and save some money by discontinuing trout stocking on thompson, and just manage it as a panfish lake. I didn't catch anything there when I was up there last month...didn't catch anything at the cascade river campsites either, although I had a few hits, and seen several trout surface. I did do some sasquatch calls while standing at the thompson lake shoreline, but I didn't hear anything in return crazy

Cascade River campsites fished well for me. They were actually hiding on that monkey puzzle weed on the left side slack water of the run.

Thompson I think should go panfish or go brook trout possibly. Too warm to support rainbows I think.