• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mid 40’s and Just Starting to Bow Hunt??

I am in my mid 40’s now and think I would like to start bow hunting, I would mainly hunt deer and turkey and maybe try some completive shoots down the road. Keep in mind I do not have any equipment as of now. I hunt with firearm on a regular basis though so I have all the clothing and that type of items. Not looking to hunt this fall but would like to be capable of taking a Turkey next spring. What advice can some of you long timers give out. I have thought about it many times in the past but have not done so because when I dive into something I normally “GO ALL OUT”. I buy the best / top of the line equipment and all the accessories that go along with it. So I put it off for that reason. But I think it is time.

Not looking for a “Ford vs. Chevy” debate on what brand to buy here but just some good general advice if you were to do it all over again.

Thanks!!

I've only been bow hunting for 5 years or so and the advice I would give you on a bow would be to shoot as many of them as you possibly can and see which one fits you the best. It doesn't matter if it's a top of the line bow or a lesser named bow, if you aren't comfortable with it, you won't be confident in any shots that you take. After you pick out a bow for yourself, shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. I'm sure you'll get much better advice from others and welcome to the sport when you take the plunge.

1) Find out your correct draw length so you're not wasting time and developing bad habits. Get instruction from more than one archery pro.

2)Go to a bow shop and check out the 1-3 year old bows. Awesome prices for great bows. Then a couple of years down the road you can buy a new bow (or another slightly used bow) knowing full well what you are looking for.

Go to your local archery pro shop and tell them just what you told us. Let them set you up with something you're comfortable with, and you can afford.

Then join a local archery club. It'll be a fun place to shoot with a bunch of good people. Join a winter league. By springtime you should be very comfortable with the new set up and you'll be well on your way to enjoying this great new sport.

Good luck!

Once you start hunting deer, shoot as many as you can for a few years before you become more selective. Then shoot a few does every year if you can.

I agree with crappie rage on this one. Whack some does and it will increase your cofidence drastically. Even as a seasoned archer I still shoot several does a year. It helps keep you sharp when that special deer may walk by. I'm lucky i live in 227, we are intensive harvest again. Many area's of the state are now one deer, so you may have to be more selective pending on what your goal is.

You guys talk like shooting does is like fish in a barrel. Not where I hunt...

SDIceAngler, you are going to hear a different story from just about anyone you talk to, especially on the internet. Bottom line is you have to figure out the hunting thing on your own unless you have a friend/family who will guide you to some of their spots to get started. Or you could pay for some guided hunts or leased land.

Shooting archery isn't rocket science, but it can be a little tricky and frustrating at times. If you have some cash, you can go to a shop and get set up with a good bow and equipment and shoot at their range. I suggest going a step further and finding an archery club to join so you can shoot regularly with different people to learn more about archery and how to shoot.

Mid 40's and starting?

PERFECT!

There is no age restriction in this wonderful addiction.

Only thing I will add to all of the above great advice is

Have fun with the sport.

Then another thing to concentrate on is that I believe is anothers signature is

"Perfect practice makes perfect"

Work on a good form , draw and release.

Mid 40's heck I just got into archery last year. I am 53 years old. I even got my wife into it at the same time and now my oldest son of 25 years young is into it. 30 plus years of gun hunting was fun but I truly am obsessed with this archery hunting.

You sure do not have to spend a fortune to get set up. If I can make one suggestion, try out many bows before you buy. Do not get trapped in the name game. Buy one be it new or used that feels comfortable to you and one that you feel confident in. It's really not about which one has the better advertisements or who sponsors who. It is to me about what feels the best in your hands and what shoots good for you.

Definitely join a winter league. Lots of fun and I believe it makes you a more accurate shooter.

Enjoy the sport.

You guys talk like shooting does is like fish in a barrel. Not where I hunt...

Does are much harder to come by these days, no doubt about that. However I think the general intention was just to shoot anything when you first start out. It is very important for a new bow hunter to get some kills under their belt. Even the most seasoned rifle hunter can learn a lot trying to get his/her first tag on a bow kill. Don't be discouraged if fawns and young bucks make you look foolish because they very well might.

My advice is don't wait til spring. Get out this fall. Still plenty of time to get practice. Archery season is a long season. My other advice is get something nice if possible. I started with a lower end bow. Year later sold it and got a top of the line. It's fine to start with a low end bow, but seems like I coulda saved a step. You can always sell the bow if it doesn't work out for ya, but I doubt that will happen.

You know why divorce is so expensive? Because it's worth it. Same goes for expensive bows, you won't regret spending more for a top of the line offering from Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, etc.

There's no reason you can't deer hunt this fall with a little coaching and a lot of practice.

Definitely shoot as many legal animals as you can, there is a learning curve and the more animals you kill or try to kill will speed that up. You can't get away with things at 20 yards that you get away with at 200. One thing that I've learned is that if you can see part of a deer's eye, it can see you. I don't twitch on an alert deer unless he's looking away. I can't count how many deer I spooked over the years by trying to draw or stand when I shouldn't have.

Invest in some fleece clothing. If you can hear the fabric when you rub it against itself, it's too noisy for bowhunting.

Believe the hype, scent control products work. Not 100%, but they make a difference. Deer used to turn themselves inside out when they crossed a trail I used 3 hours ago. Now if they notice at all, which they usually don't, all they do is look around for a minute and then keep coming. It still won't save you if they come from directly downwind, but I believe it reduces the amount of scent you give off.

Good luck!

I started bowhnuting 5 years ago at the age of 39. I still haven't taken a deer with my bow but the first deer ever in range was a huge buck that I didn't kill (long story posted a long time ago). The thrill of that afternoon has never left me and I still dream about it. I had only rifle hunted up to that point.

I love bowhunting more than rifle hunting, hands down.

I agree with the others - find a bow that is comfortbale to shoot, ask a lot of questions, and have fun with it!

As to what I would do differently, I would spend more money on broadheads and buy a different set of bowhunting clothes and not use my rifle hunting gear for bowhunting. One reason I say this becuase my rifle hunting gear is warmer and bulkier than my bowhunting gear. The other reason is that i normally bowhunt alone and my hunting clothes are not subjetcted to the same places/people/conditions as my rifle gear.

I started bowhnuting 5 years ago at the age of 39. I still haven't taken a deer with my bow but the first deer ever in range was a huge buck that I didn't kill (long story posted a long time ago). The thrill of that afternoon has never left me and I still dream about it. I had only rifle hunted up to that point.

Cool story junior. I think you will fine even the most experience rifle hunter completely humbled by just about any deer, let alone a mature buck. Kind of happey when I started bowhunting I didn't run into a big buck, there were plenty of little bucks out there to make me look dumb.

Cool story junior. I think you will fine even the most experience rifle hunter completely humbled by just about any deer, let alone a mature buck. Kind of happey when I started bowhunting I didn't run into a big buck, there were plenty of little bucks out there to make me look dumb.

Bowhunting has improved my success in rifle season since I can pattern the deer early. I've put myself in some great spots for the big boy but he has eluded me the last two years, once by crawling away from me!

Last year during rifle season I managed to shoot the scrappy 5 pointer that was pushing all of the spikers around during bow season. I spent hours watching this deer from the bow stand on different days.

Those guns will be dust collectors now! Welcome to the addiction!
. Dude, I have six of them and they are now all for self defense or recreational shooting. If I went to a camp or party hunted I might gun hunt for the social aspect but now it's only the bow. Good luck and have fun with Bowhunting!

My advice is don't wait til spring. Get out this fall. Still plenty of time to get practice. Archery season is a long season. My other advice is get something nice if possible. I started with a lower end bow. Year later sold it and got a top of the line. It's fine to start with a low end bow, but seems like I coulda saved a step. You can always sell the bow if it doesn't work out for ya, but I doubt that will happen.

+1 don't wait if you can afford to get started. Even if you can't, maybe you know someone that can borrow you a spare bow. Yes, you want to get one that fits you eventually but it would be enter than nothing. I started with a cheap bow package and it worked fine. Upgraded to what is a nice to me middle of the road bow last year and there's a definite difference in shooting? I love it. I would go with as much bow as you could afford and or seems reasonable to you. And hit the pro shop to do it. The pro shop is invaluable and not any more expensive than the big box stores typically on the bow itself.