• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leadcore Tips

Scott M

One question, at the end, when Brad is talking about his lures and the number of feet of diving depth they add, where is that number coming from? From the manufacturer package? From the Trolling bible? Just curious, I am planning on adding a couple leadcore setups to my rods next year.

It's a mix of all three, some lure are trial and error my staring point is the bible but most of the time I use my 1.8mph as my low end # and 2.4 as my high end # as far as running depth goes. For instance a #7 Shad rap according to the bible runs around 6.4 ft on 30ft of 10lb mono, at 1.8mph I get 7ft religiously and at 2.4mph I get 5.5-6ft. Not sure if that helps or not?

It definatly is a combination af all three. I pull leadcore on the river quite a bit and sometimes you have to factor in current as well. As a general rule of thumb 1 color is about 5 feet of depth. For me it is mostly trial and error as I primarly fish the bottom. One key to leadcore is finding the right rod that shows your lure running. Couple it with linecounter reels and you can get it right down to the knats but!

Leadcore is so versitle you can come up with all kinds of combinations to reach depths with various speeds and various lures. Heck we even Denver Rig off leadcore on the river and lakes at times.

mw

Brad just be precise here, when you discuss letting out line (colors) on LC, when is a color official 'out.' ?

When the end of a color first disappears under the water column?

When the end of a color passes through tip of your rod?

ETC.

Tks