• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I was 12 miles from the border on Sat. evening for our hunt. Things were up and in good shape. Southern ON and N MN just got annihilated with rain and hail last night, so I would guess things will be fruiting well... let us know how it goes!!

It will be interesting for sure, I haven't ever hunted in the terrain type they have up there...I don't ever remember seeing an oak tree..Pretty sure it's mostly pine/cedar/spruce/aspen in that neck of the woods...

I would walk all of the portage trails between lakes. It seems to me this is when I see most of the mushrooms up there. I'm heading up in a couple of weeks and am hoping to find some lobster, and maybe chants to go with a few shorelunches. I have a spot in NE MN that literally has more lobsters than I could possibly carry back to my truck. I find them everytime I go there in early fall or late summer. They are in a large stand of red pines. The woods there reminds me of Canada, so maybe walking through areas like that could be productive?

Good luck and let us know how you do! For years I would always see bright mushrooms and assume they were poisonous. Now that I'm learning more the last few years, I'm thinking I ignored some pretty good edibles!

NoWiser, that was pretty much my plan-There are a couple portage trails around the area that I am familiar with from the winter snowmobile trips up there...I have only been getting after the shrooms the last few years and remember not too many years ago taking out a bunch of hen of the woods with a nine iron in my dads yard... cry

Sorry to report, no luck...I only spent about 10 minutes looking around the camp we stay and found only non edibles. It was very dry in the woods and couldn't get motivated to go on a long adventure. The Labatts kept calling me back... grin

I got home Saturday from a week up on Pipestone Lake. Fishing was slow on the main lake so we spent a lot of time portaging to smaller lakes where we hammered the fish. Many of the portages were pushing a mile, so I had plenty of time to look for shrooms along the way. Lots of bright yellow boletes which I have never seen before. Seems like they were growing everywhere. All I found for edibles were a couple scaber stalks that I didn't pick, and a handful of lobsters that were a hit at dinner. Great week! Can't beat fresh lakers and eyes with an ice cold Labatts.

Thanks for the report, NoWiser! Did you make sure an give Lucas a ton of dump? Enough to tide him over until I can get there to rib him this winter? Haha!

Were the yellow "boletes" chicken fat mushrooms? They are out in full force right now...

Matt,

That could have possibly been what they were. They don't look exactly like the pictures I just googled, but close.

I didn't have time to give him too much grief. I just got time to talk with him for a couple hours Friday night before we hit the hay so we could head up to my buddy's cabin early Saturday morning. I'll be sure to give him a healthy dose in November when we head out to Montana together to hunt mulies for a week. I'll be sure to warn him that you will be gunning for him when you head up!