eurolarva Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 My dad has the old style polarized outlets in his house. I replaced a cieling lamp in his kitchen today and there were two wires. Both were black and I saw a copper wire that I used for the ground. When I removed the old lamp there were two wires (both black) one thicker then the other with an almost cloth like insulator. When I bumped into this wire with my hand I got a shock even though the switch was off. I put a meter on both wires and read 80 volts ac. Is this normal or is his house messed up. I replaced one light in his house and saw he had the load and neutral backwards and am wondering how many circuits in his house are like this. My question should there be voltage floating between the switch wire and the load when the switch is off? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now ↓↓↓ or ask your question and then register. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.