• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Doing Some Day Dreaming On My Next Setups

TMF89

I'm thinking of getting rid of my current rods and starting fresh, probably won't until after the season's over, but I've got some time today and I figure a hypothetical shopping list is still fun right?

I'm thinking of doing two or three St. Croix Tournament Legends and keeping the 7'6 MH St. Croix Avid I have. The only rod I'm thinking for sure is a 9' H. What else would you guys go with?

Also I'm thinking of running Shimano reels, probably mainly Calcuttas. What do you guys think of the differences between the talk, TEs, and Ds? I'm thinking one 700 size, two 400s, and a Curado 300EJ or something. What do you guys think?

If your set on St Croix I would go with a Long Ranger paired with the new shimano calcutta 400D.. Next I would go with your 7'6" set up with another calcutta for jerkbaits, and walk the dog topwater.. Then something heavier with a calcutta for big rubber and heavy baits.. Something 9'.. maybe look at a TB Custom predator for this rod??.. and lastly I would look at a 8' MH rod with the curado for smaller baits.. As for reels listening to Dahlberg and Turgeon talk about the new 400D calcutta its replacing the need for the 700 TE's unless you really set on keeping one.. Thats my 2 cents..

I won the 9' XH Predator last year and put a 300EJ (I have TE's, Currado D's, Luna's and Trinidads and the EJ is the best all around out there IMOP)on it and can say that it's my go-to rod for about 80% of what I throw. I can throw 1oz stuff all the way to mag dawgs. If you're going to spend the money on a Tournament St.Croix (I have 5), spend the extra $50 and get the Predator. It's in a class of it's own.

As for reels listening to Dahlberg and Turgeon talk about the new 400D calcutta its replacing the need for the 700 TE's unless you really set on keeping one.. Thats my 2 cents..

What's the 400D? I have a 400B which is the lower-end model, just wondering what the difference is in model and price?