• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chicken

Well, I think I started a bad thing.

Last week, I smoked a bunch of nice meaty wings for the my son's pitt crew after the races.

Last night, we had smoked drummies after the races.

I made these drummies the same as the wings only used a bit more mesquite and sprayed then down a few times with apple juice. One guy my son knows came over after the races and said I heard I missed out on some good food last week.

Now I have to come up with something new or maybe even better for the next smoking.

Any good ideas for a recipe for the pit crew gang? I am open to almost anythinjg. I don't want to just keep bringing chicken even if they like it. Gotta mix it up a bit.

One of my favorites is to make smoked meat kabobs. You can put what ever you want on the kabob. A little pork, beef, chicken, venison. I will put a small chunk of apple in between each chunk of meat for extra flavor.

here is something you can make ahead and re-heat at the races.

Pulled Chicken

6 pounds of chicken hindquarters

[Rainbow got them at 69cents a pound this week]

salt and pepper

BBQ sauce of your choice

lightly season the chicken hind quarters with salt and pepper. get the smoker ready with a drip pan and some wood for smoking. smoke the chicken for about 4 hours at 225 to 240 deg. wait till the chicken internal temp is 180 deg.

when the chicken is ready, place it somewhere to cool so you can handle it. pull the skin off and discard it [love the skin otherwise] then pull the meat off the bones and pull it in small pieces. mix it with BBQ sauce that you like. just dont overdue the sauce. put the mix in vac bags and freeze until the race day. then all you have to do is put the bag in simmering water to heat up. get some good buns and put a scoop of mix on the bun and some cole slaw on top and pass them around.

here is a simple BBQ sauce you can try.

2 cups white vinegar

1 1/2 cups name brand ketchup [like Heinz] not a off brand.

1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar

2 T chili powder

1 1/2 t ground black pepper

1 T kosher salt

makes about 5 cups

whisk all the ingredients together in a saucepan, place over medium high heat, and bring to a boil. lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce just coats the back of a wooden spoon. this sauce is not too thick. you can cool and use immediately or store for later use in the fridge, where it will keep for 2 to 3 months. put it in a plastic container. good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Since they like chicken so much, I am going to do the chicken u suggested RH for the Saturday after this coming one as I am going to be gone out state for some races for a week.

Sounds like a great meal for a hunting or fishing trip also.

i'm using this sauce on the ribs i'm doing now. my wife approved of it by taste with a spoon. i got some cherry wood now to give them some love now. it worked great for chicken and now i'm using it on ribs. Harvey this sauce is more of a mop sauce. i dont like the thick sauces myself, mop sauces give the meat more moisture than the thick store bought kind. always good to try something new. make sure you dont use too much of the sauce. just enough to give the meat the flavor and some moisture. that goes for any type of pulled meat and sauce anyone uses. good luck.