• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Belle Creek

JBMasterAngler

So I fished belle creek briefly for the 1st time ever today. Probably wasn't the most ideal day (or time of year for that matter) to fish trout on an unkown creek, but it was fun to at least check it out anyway. I didn't catch anything. Water was a little on the warm side for a trout stream, but I might have been too far downstream for this time of year. I intended to venture to some spots farther upstream, but the road construction on hwy 19 took care of that frown

I'm guessing the creek get's alot of pressure? Is the catch and release rules applied because of that, or because it's generally a low density trout population? I'd like to give belle another try, but probably under better conditions. I also tried finding spots on hay creek too, but I didn't have my map with me, so I was most likely driving down the wrong roads crazy

I fished Belle a few years ago with a newbie trout fisherman - we caught a bunch of decent browns on crawlers. Seemed like good fishing even though the water was murky and a little high from rain

Legally it's not even a trout stream. Same for North Fork Zumbro. Yet both have low numbers of quality trout so the DNR made it C&R. Once that happened they became more popular, or at least Belle did (closest to the TCs). Smallies take over the lower end in the heat of the summer and perhaps the nicer ones move closer to springs and/or the darkest deepest pools with good cover.

Sure but if you look at MN statutes legally it is not. Same for NF Zumbro. Just because it has special regulations does not make it a trout stream. The process of classification is not as easy as you would think. It requires time and money. Environmental studies and needs to be signed into law. Notice on WI nearly every spring fed valley is designsted. Here in MN there are MANY creeks not even on the regulations book that hold trout. Some of them are actually quite exceptional.

there are many small creeks in the Arrowhead deep in the forests that have never been stocked as far as i know and have no name and have brookies. i know of one a friend of mine found near where we hunt north of Duluth. the creek would come from underground, flow for awhile, and go underground and appear once more and go for a distance and go underground again. he showed it to me and it had very nice brook trout in the little pools. we never fished it and never will. good luck.

Sure but if you look at MN statutes legally it is not. Same for NF Zumbro. Just because it has special regulations does not make it a trout stream. The process of classification is not as easy as you would think. It requires time and money. Environmental studies and needs to be signed into law. Notice on WI nearly every spring fed valley is designsted. Here in MN there are MANY creeks not even on the regulations book that hold trout. Some of them are actually quite exceptional.

Yeah I am going to go with regs (Belle on pg. 48 NF Zubro pg. 53) over this this info. COs will too. Always check the regs. Would hate to see someone get ticketed. The "but a guy on a board said so" doesn't fly.

I swear I seen a post on here from maybe a year ago with alot of pics of trout (possibly brook trout) out of belle creek. Seemed like whoever it was, had a productive day that day.

I've caught quite a few brown trout out of the main branch of the zumbro. Some of them were really nice sized too. Mostly in the zumbro falls area, but also way downstream by the zumbro bottoms campgrounds.

I just need to find a productive stream before the season ends so I can catch a brown trout and complete my "trout grand slam"!

Yeah it has quality fish. I've caught several 20s out of there. I do not suggest targeting trout outside of the trout season since it has trout regulation signs. I'm just simply saying from a legal definition of MN statutes it is not a designsted trout stream.

The mouth there is the occasional big. Plenty of quality trout from bike bridge all the way to the first road bridge including that corner pool on state forest that many people camp at. Also the pool right underneath 19 is quite deep. I've yet to try upstream of 19 but that also looks promising.

Belle does have runoff issues. Turns to chocolate milk after storms and takes longer than normal to settle down. Silt likely smothers the fry which limits natural reproduction = low numbers of trout = quality trout can be found. That is why it is popular.

I do not suggest targeting trout outside of the trout season since it has trout regulation signs. I'm just simply saying from a legal definition of MN statutes it is not a designsted trout stream.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm going to. What is this "magical loop hole" you speak of? It's listed a trout stream in the regs. and has trout stream signs posted but is not a legally designated trout stream? I don't get it.

So that's why when I look in the Trout Stream Index I find Belle Creek listed.. because it's not a designated trout stream? crazy

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/trout_streams/south/stream_index.pdf

Quote:
I do not suggest targeting trout outside of the trout season since it has trout regulation signs.

Now remember folks.. suggesting and doing.... are two different things..

Oh twist my arm Len.

Chub tail. #2 hook. 9:30 at night. Corner pool on state land, first bridge up. River Pig. Was my personal best until last year's 24 that I just hung up on my wall Tuesday night.

92968043.jpg

Even if it's not designated, it is still illegal to target trout out of season. Good luck explaining to a warden that you were only looking to catch some creek chubs. smirk

I don't know about you.. But I personally use 20# PowerPro and bring my pike net for when I'm fishing chubs..

Quote:
I don't know about you.. But I personally use 20# PowerPro and bring my pike net for when I'm fishing chubs..

Do you have a good chub recipe? I don't know many that fish for chubs except for the use of bait. That said there are not many chubs in Belle anyway. Plenty of white suckers though. Maybe you like to pickle them?

The lack of chubs was something I noticed when I fished there crazy What is up with that? Other area streams I've fished are loaded with chubs.

When I fished Belle Creek I caught 2 northerns, a crappie, 3 smallmouth, and a bunch of bluegills. I'm guessing they displace the chubs thru direct (predation) and indirect (same food/habitat) competition

Quote:
When I fished Belle Creek I caught 2 northerns, a crappie, 3 smallmouth, and a bunch of bluegills. I'm guessing they displace the chubs thru direct (predation) and indirect (same food/habitat) competition

Fishing the lower end I assume? Below the first road bridge? I've caught smallies, white sucker, big browns, and the occasional chub.