• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat landing question

coombia21

So I was putting my boat in the water today at a metro lake. I tied the boat up, not in the way. Then I went to go park the truck and came back less than a minute later and there was someone pushing and moving my boat around. To top it off they put a scratch in my boat and were torquing on the windshield. Is there any laws against this? I was about ready to throw him into the water when I got down there and saw what he was doing. Is there any laws that he was violating? I wanted to call the police because he was a real [PoorWordUsage] about it, especially for the scratch he put in my boat. I have a picture of the guy moving the boat, a picture of the scratch, the guys truck model, license plate number, and his boat registration number. Is there anything I can do.

Let me know

I'd of jump his case right away. I was just up at Lake City, MN last night and today and a guy parked his trailer half way across my parking lane making it extremely difficult to back out. He had a little suprise when he got back!! Almost all of the people I have run across are good people and they respect my property like I do their's but sometimes you run into a duck who needs to be treated like a duck. Poor ducks!!

Mike

your lucky to have that info. I had someone smash the side of my trailer, while it was parked and I was fishing. I saw it happen, all I could see was it was a red explorer. Luckily all the dammage was a slightly bent fender and a ripped off boat guide. He hit it, backed up, and left as fast as possible.

Should have taken care of the issue right there and got the information you needed. Very hard to prove the damage after the fact.

Last week I was up at Rainy Lake and had parked my boat at the resort dock for the night. I have a habit of checking on my boat just before hitting the rack for the the night. I walked down to the dock just before dark and found that some guy had unplugged my boat and was using my extension cord to connect his charger. I reconnected my boat. His boat was still there when I left the dock the next morning. I hope he had a great time fishing with dead batteries. I don't know what some people are thinking. Looks like you ran into someone with same mentality.

Incidentally, the walleyes are on a big bite.

Yah, its not the damage, its the mentality. I would have apreciated if they had told me, or even left me a note, but they didn't even have the backbone to do that. That is what realy angers me.

Back to the original post. I imagine he was getting your boat out of the way because he couln't wait his turn at the launch right? Complete disrespect of property.

I'd of jump his case right away. I was just up at Lake City, MN last night and today and a guy parked his trailer half way across my parking lane making it extremely difficult to back out. He had a little suprise when he got back!! Almost all of the people I have run across are good people and they respect my property like I do their's but sometimes you run into a duck who needs to be treated like a duck. Poor ducks!!

Mike

I was in Lake City this weekend as well. I don't know if this was the same guy or not. When I went to pull my boat out Sat. there was a guys trailer a good 12-18" in my lane. Luckily, I have a smaller boat so I can lift my trailer around if needed. If I had a bigger boat with trailer he definately would have had a note on his windshield.

In reply to your original question, I would have tried settling it with him right there. Then calling the police if needed.

Most people would let it slide if honest up front but doesn't sound like you would have had much luck with getting any information from this guy.

Boat landings are a joke. I had someone drill my trailer and do over $1000 worth of damage. No note, no contact info, just a buch of blue paint from their vehicle. If you cant backup and drive with a trailer, dont go to a place where parking them is tight and crowded like a boat launch. Rant off... smile

If the OP tied up out of the way there should not have been a reason to move the boat. It does read as though that the people involved had differing opinions of what "in the way" is. Moving someone else's boat should never happen, though!

People do strange things at boat ramps. I once saw a guy struggling to back his boat into the water (should of practiced before attempting it at the launch I guess), he ended up swinging the front of the pickup way over while backing up to compensate and he hit a golf car with the front fender. The guy jumps out of his truck dropping the "f" bombs and blaming the guy who owned the golf cart, sure the golf cart may have been a little close but the truck was almost 90 degrees from the angle of the trailer in the water.

I couldn't believe the owner of the golf cart actually apologized to this knucklehead. He had more patience than I would of.

REALLY?!?! You're defending this action???? Remind me not to fish where you do.

I dont see 2 questions as defending the accused.

I'm guessing the other guy thought it was in the way, or why take the time to move a boat?

Does the OP have the pictures from the ramp available?

I agree that no one should move someones boat without permission. We all pay alot of money for our boats and would rather have someone ask before touching them. I know I would move anyones boat without asking. People need to be patient so we can all enjoy the water.

Some people just need to work less and fish more...Then there is no need to be in a hurry at the landings (or i should say, no reason to move someone elses boat so you can launch). I'll even let people go in front of me (and i usually regret it because they are slow) if there is any doubt who has the next turn. If a boat is waiting in the water, i'll let them go too. Too bad about the scratch.

TW, don't let me in in front of you. I am terrible at it. Don't get a lot of practice time. Luckily, the cabin is on a smaller lake and the ramp is usually wide open most of the day. Those "No fish, no public landing" posts are starting to pay off grin

I agree that no one should move someones boat without permission. We all pay alot of money for our boats and would rather have someone ask before touching them. I know I would move anyones boat without asking. People need to be patient so we can all enjoy the water.

Only time I would consider touching someones boat if they aren't there is if the boat comes untied from the dock, or is otherwise in danger of immediate serious damage (like drifting into rocks or something). Even then I could see how someone could possibly be upset if I tried helping them and they weren't there to see it...

Speaking of which, are you certain the guy wasn't trying to keep your boat away from the dock during a big wake or something? That would make a lot more sense about why he was touching it and why there was damage.

It just doesn't make sense that someone would go and start moving a boat that doesn't belong to them that isn't in the way of anything... ???

Some people just need to work less and fish more...Then there is no need to be in a hurry at the landings (or i should say, no reason to move someone elses boat so you can launch). I'll even let people go in front of me (and i usually regret it because they are slow) if there is any doubt who has the next turn. If a boat is waiting in the water, i'll let them go too. Too bad about the scratch.

If I see someone really struggling at the ramp I'll sometimes politely offer my assistance. You'd be surprised how many people will accept and thank you for it. Having an audience of impatient people at the ramp doesn't help matters.

I just let it go, I was on my high horse and I was [PoorWordUsage] the other day. But at this point it is not worth my effort right now. I have been working 14hr days and do not even want to think about lawsuits or dealing with other people right now, just not worth the hassle, and added stress right now.