• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How it's Made - Ice Castle Fish Houses!

Nisswaguy

Their stuff has always been subpar. And if you have ever met Jeff the owner he is a real treat. I bought some stuff from them when I was building my house. Maybe I caught him on a bad day, but he didnt treat me very well. I dont think they appreciate the do it yourself people very much. I wont ever do business with them again.

I just watched the video. Not sure how you get "assembly line" out of it. Looks to me like it gets a floor in 1 station, walls at another station and then makes a stop for all the rest of the work to be done. I get a kick out of all the people that say "this is dump" and "that is dump". I don't own one but I've been in a few of my friends. The only real complaints to me where the bad frames they used to use but that's a non-issue these days. To me it looks like they put out a nice product and are getting better every year. I had a chance to meet Jeff the owner once myself. Seemed like a decent guy. He might not have the best people skills in the world, but then again, who does. I doubt he's losing sleep over the fact that Buck won't ever do business with him again. He's a manufacturer and not really a supplier of parts for do-it-yourself-ers. Anyway... just my .02. I've enjoyed checking out all their videos from that youtube link above. Thanks for sharing it Nisswa.

Well I was in one of there so called fixed frames this past winter when I noticed that the stub axle was tearing from the frame causing a bad camber type problem I also noticed in his video that he says they are all tube frames but noticed quite a bit of angle in the video. They did reinvent the fish house industry but they have done it at a cost to alot of customers in the past

So did Chevrolet, Ford, Chrystler, Minn Kota, and company XYZ. Products evolve over time. I'm pretty sure they don't make their own frames and that they get them from a supplier. They're the only fish house manufacturer who offer a 1 year warranty of their product. To me, that's standing behind what you build.

They're the only fish house manufacturer who offer a 1 year warranty of their product. To me, that's standing behind what you build.

Really look at The fishhouse store aluminum houses they have a 10 year warranty and most all the other companys have warrantys also. 1 year isnt long concidering alot of people only use there house a few months a year.

He's a manufacturer and not really a supplier of parts for do-it-yourself-ers.

He's not?? Then why do they advertise they are and have a catalog? Would you like me to call them for you and get the catalog mailed to you? I was at their booth at the ice show and thats how I ended up out there the next summer to get parts.

And they have a reputation for a lack of quality. I didnt give it to them. They earned it on their own. You ever see what some of their paneling and fiberglass looks like after a couple winters? Nothing like sitting in a mold box for a couple days of fishing. Wonder how many guys on here have been 100+ miles away from home and broke down with a castle?

Really look at The fishhouse store aluminum houses they have a 10 year warranty and most all the other companys have warrantys also. 1 year isnt long concidering alot of people only use there house a few months a year.

Last I heard they were out of business.

Homeade or store bought each is customizable once you get it. I agree that it was cheaper to build then buy, and I like to make stuff custom to my liking. I am still in the process of finishing mine, but I got it out last year for about a week anyways and it was a nice fit for my needs. I also agree however that not everyone has the resources to build their own. Lots of tools involved and simple construction know how. I think the Ice castles are an ok product. All trailers will need a fresh paint job anually if not in the spring and fall. I am hoping for a better winter this year.

I have had three Ice Castles and they have all been great. You get what you pay for. Any problems that I have had that were not handled by the manufacturer were handled by the dealer. After seeing some of the fishhouses being towed down lake roads it is no wonder there are some failures.