• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck tires or car tires on my pickup?

'94 Chev K1500 ext cab 4wd.

Currently has MIchelin 265/75-16 LT tires on it but they need replacement because while the tread is completely usable and well above the wear indicators the sidewalls are a really weathercracked.

For the last few years I have not driven the truck that much, maybe a couple thousand miles per year. It's older, has 220K miles on it, rusty, steering is a bit loose, and generally just not worth too much but it does run OK.

Since good LT truck tires are expensive and I don't drive the truck that much nor do heavy towing or hauling (when I do it's generally to pull a medium boat, Sylvan 16 Pro Select / 90hp Merc, or a 19ft pop-up camper, or maybe a motorcycle trailer), do you think using p-metric (car tires) instead of LT tires is the wrong direction? I'd still buy a decent brand, but the difference could be a couple hundred bucks.

My '98 k1500 originally came with P tires int he same size as yours. Wranglers to be exact. They were p0retty good, and lasted fairly well, but I had mostly highway miles on them then. It would work fine for what you are using it for, IMHO.

On my last set, I put LT in load range D (I think, equivalent to 8 ply...). Definitely rougher riding, but now I use it exclusively for hunting and fishing and hauling purposes, and the rigidity has worked well for me.

Personally, I would not be afraid of "off brands" either. I have had as good of luck with them as the branded tires, for much less cost. Old friend who managed tire store told me as such, FWIW. Good luck.

What ever you decide on for tires is fine just do some preventive maintance on them and they will last for a long time. clean them and treat them and if you can buy some tire covers the sun really takes its toll on tires just sitting around.

Good Luck

Yeah, probably should have done that sort of maintenance but I didn't ever expect these tires would last as long as they have. They've been on so long I can't recall the details but I'd reckon they have somewhere between 80k and 100K miles on them. I've more than gotten my money's worth, but the truck and my limited use of it is no longer worth $800-$1000 set of tires. smile