• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Greer Lake Campground

cribbageboy

Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you guys have been to Greer Lake Campground in Crow Wing State Forest near Brainerd. Planning a camping trip with some buddies and wondering if this is a decent place to go. Any info is helpful.

Hey CB,

I have cabin near there, but not on the lake. I have snowmobiled on it, boated on it, fished it, duck hunted it, and grouse hunted around it. But I have not stayed at the campgrounds, since I am so close.

I have never seen it busy, but I must confess that I don't go there much in summer. The campground is nice, clean, and sites seem to be a decent distance apart. There are some more "primitive" or farther from the lake I think, maybe even some horse camping, but I can't say for sure. They have boat access directly attached, and the whole campground is on dead end road, so not much traffic to worry about.

If you have a canoe or kayak I think there are a couple other lakes you can drop it into right near the campground.

For fishing, I think it is mainly a panfish, bass and pikelake. Most of lake is rather shallow, but some deep cuts here and there. I caught some pike while trolling last year, and some bass. Winter we caught more sunfish than crappies, but I haven't been there a ton. I can't say anything I ever caught there was big. Water is stained a bit, brownish, prolly from all the tamrack and wetlands around it. Not muddy, but stained. Maybe 3' water clarity, but not due to algae bloom that I recall.

If trolling you will get hung up on some kind of funky soft weeds, so I changed from cranks to spinnerbaits. Then it went through pretty good. That is if under 8-10 fow, if over 10' then no probs with weeds. Weedline seemed to be about 8/9 fow if I recall.

Hope that helps some. Have a good time there, it is a great area!

PS, the Wolfhound, just east of there on 6 & 36, has awesome burgers and the other little store across the road is run by nice people, they have some bait (not great selection) and small fishing section. Good luck.

Fun Fun. Getting a little worried. The DNR HSOforum is saying that Crow Wing State Forest is closed. Not sure what from, and I'm not sure if that includes Greer Lake Campground, but my guess is yes. Might be looking into a different location for the weekend of the 17th of August.

My family and I had spent time on that campground some years back nice place to stay. The landing is good and the fish cleaning shack really makes it worth stying there. some really good panfish to be caught in the lake or at least we caught some.

I had my 26ft motorhome their and no problems. they have campsites along the water also.