• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what bullet for elk 300 win mag

I just picked up a 300 winmag savage and tossed a bipod on it. Acxurate rifle. I will be in montana this fall and will be probably shooting at ranges up to 200-300 yards. Im hoping for some expertise on whag bullet i should be shooting to drop an elk?

There is a big selection of ammo for the 300 win. I would look at the 185 gr HSM Trophy Gold loaded with a Berger bullet and see how that shoots. I have a 300 ultra mag and will be trying these out also. The rem scirocco bonded shoot very well for me also!

I have killed 14 elk in the last 13 years. The early years I shot a Ruger 30-06 with 165 gr. boat tail factory Rem. loads. 2x7 Burris Scope. Last 6 years I shot a custom 270 with 135 gr. premium Rem. factory loads, and single 4 power scope. Found the lighter gun to be essential as I get older. None of these elk ran farther than 150 yds, and most less than 100. A well-sighted gun with good (uniform)loads, and making a good shot is more important than which bullet hits the animal. If you use premium loads with flat shooting trajectories, whatever groups well out of your rifle should be fine. Unless you are in the back country where no one else is hunting near you for miles, your shots (on bulls) will be in fairly heavy timber at close range (which is why I stopped using variable scopes). Unless you plan to shoot at 500+ yds which I would never recommend because of the high wound and lost animal rates, expensive specialty bullets don't yield a significant difference in accuracy and kill rates IMO. My hunting partner uses a 243 with 90 gr. bullets and kills elk just fine with well-placed shots. BTW, I do have a bipod on my 270 and use it when hunting antelpe and deer, but never seem to have the time when hunting elk.

In 2010 I used Hornady GMX bullets in my '06 , 165 grain . They performed great !! I shot a big cow at about 275 yards , first shot was facing me, hit it in the chest the second was broadside and hit it behind the shoulder , the facing shot I found the bullet back by the hind quarter ! It when throw a good 4 feet of elk be for stoping !! The bullet weight was 163.6 after the shot !! It lost the plastic tip ! the elk when about 3 steps

Great post Montanamax and I couldn't agree more. No one has killed more elk in our camp than the guy shooting a 270 with 150 grain bullets. All the elk that we have killed have been in dark timber and well within 100 yards. I have hunted with a 30-06 Carbine pump, 180 grain bullets with a 4x scope for the last 10 years and I wouldn't want anything else for the area we hunt. Find the bullet that shoots the best group......I know, I know generic answer, but it's what works. Good luck and have fun out there!