• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Long Run HDMI cables

I am installing a projector in the basement and it looks like I'm going to have a long run of around 50' for the HDMI cable. (running through ceiling, walls, etc.) I know that they make some cables for longer runs that don't lose quality of picture, but I'm not sure of what brand, etc. to get.

Anybody have any experience with these cables?

been a while since I've looked into this, but when I set up my home theater at my old place I used the cheapest hdmi cables I could find (that had gold plated connections) and didn't lose any quality.

I've always used monoprice to order my cables online.

I don't think a 50 foot run will cause any noticeable decrease in quality of pic/audio.

Wire trade-offs are smaller wire create more resistance, larger wire creates more capacitance. Capacacitance plus resistance create an analog frequency crossover.

Since you are sending a digital signal that won't matter so err on the side of capacitance, meaning larger gauge.

I ran 35ft with good signal using cheap cables from the big A online store - super cheap and work fine.

If youre hiding in wall that you'll never be able to access again -i.e. sheetroocking in it, you may want to think about running another as back-up ...the cables are cheap and its good insurance

I ended up going with the 60' from monoprice. It's the one with the chip (redmere technology) that is pretty much a built in booster, powered by the amp output.

I just made sure that I didn't run parallel with any power wires for more than 16".