• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last weekend on Shamineau and Alexander

Last weekend (thurs fri sat) fished Shamineau and Alexander. I never had a weekend with so few follows and the ones we saw were small (under 40 one over) Just wondering how everyone elses weekend went and if anyone else fished either lake this weekend? We fished Sham for 8 hours on thursday and 6 on saturday and Alex on friday for 8 hours. I have never fished Alex before so maybe not knowing the lake was a reason for only seeing 2 fish all day but we did fish the whole lake almost. I fish sham quite often because we have a cabin on the lake and we only seen 6 small fish all weekend. I figured pretty soon the bite would start heating up but I guess it was not this weekend. How did you all do?

Your not alone, talked to many ski fisherman over the last month and most are saying numbers of caught and sighted fish are down. I see more smaller ones than ever. I would say fifty percent in the 30-36 in range. Sighting 40 plusers seems to be way off normal for me. 3-5 yrs ago you would have 10- 30 follows a weekend of all bigs, seldom see a small one. Now the follows are in the handfull at best range. I think the preasure this lake gets the last few years has really educated the fish not to mention the milfoil spread. Or maybe I just became a worse fisherman the last few years. Well good luck.

http://bpspinners.com/Leech%20Lake%20Musky%20Rampage.html At the end of the story I like how this states a big storm came in and ended the Musky Rampage! One would think in the Month of July we saw a Full & New Moon with some very consistent HOTTT weather and with that consistent weather one would think there would be some monsters feeding... its just finding them... Hopefully you didn't stick to your normal weed bed or shoreline and went out and adventured because if you did I'm sure it paid off! Hopefully this fall there will be some more of the consistent weather to nail some Ski's!!

Hiya -

I wonder if Dan knows that article is being used on someone's HSOforum? He first wrote it for me in Esox Angler...heh. That's an abbreviated version, but it's a great article...

A lot of guys I know have stopped fishing until the water cools down, but to the larger point, I do seem to hear a lot of guys talking about pressured fish getting tougher to catch. More things have to be 'right' (weather, presentation, location) to get a fish to make a mistake... Pretty typical of pressured fish, regardless of species.

RK

that sounds about right for those two lakes. i fish them pretty much every weekend. it started out promising this year but i have nothing to show for it. lots of follows, a few strikes, 0 in the net. haven't been up there in a few weeks so i will be heading up this thurs - monday. if you are up and you see a frustrated fat guy in a maroon stratos 201 bass boat stop on by and say hello.

Seems like other years we could go out for 2-3 hours and see a few fish but after the first couple weeks of the season its been extremely slow. Im no expert by any means. I just cast and cast and cast ha ha. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck. Thanks for your input fellas!

I would agree, I've been out there (Alex) about 3 times early this year and it definitely slowed down so I went to other lakes. I've got one and netted some for friends. Not the typical late June early July action so I guess we wait for the cool down.

Logged some good hours out there the last 3 days. Fished everything from early morning 4am - 11 am and late at night 7pm - 3am and didn't have much luck at all. Moved 2 fish total - only 1 of which seemed to have actual interest in my lure. That fish was mid 30's. What can you do. Still fun to get out.

hey yea my brother and I were just out there the other night and we saw two nice fish at about 7 and 7 thirty last night. One was probably fifty plus. I forgot to look when the major was but that could have come into play maybe

was out there last night and didnt raise a fish in 4 hours... seems like i should have picked a weeknight, lots of other boats on the lake fishing muskie and recreation... always makes it hard when a water skier is making circles around the weed flat that you wanna fish...