• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does anybody hunt deer with a 25-06?

Yes it would.

".25-caliber bullets typically have high ballistic coefficients without being heavy. This characteristic, when combined with the large case capacity of its parent .30-06 case, allows relatively high muzzle velocities without heavy recoil. The combination of high ballistic coefficients with high muzzle velocities give the .25-06 a very flat trajectory as well as retaining kinetic energy down-range.

The .25-06 is generally considered to be a good round for medium-sized game such as deer and antelope because of its combination of substantial kinetic energy and moderate recoil. The addition of a flat trajectory makes it particularly popular in plains states where the open fields can require longer-range shots on game, as this flatness tends to minimize range-estimation errors by the hunter. However bullet types and weights are loaded that allow the .25-06 to be used for taking game ranging from small animals like prairie dogs and coyotes to heavier elk. These bullets range from lightly constructed 75-grain bullets with muzzle velocities in the 3,700 ft/s (1,130 m/s) range to heavily made 120-grain bullets with muzzle velocities in the 3,000 ft/s (915 m/s) range."

I agree with klecker, it will be fine for both species, and shoot nice and flat for long range shots.

Just keep in mind not all stores will carry ammunition for the gun, or ammunition the exact way you want. You may also want to look into handloading with that rifle.

Erik

I've used one for the last 10 years and have killed 12 deer with it. I use 115 gr federal fusions. Haven't wounded a deer yet and the only one I had to track was my own fault, poor shot selection. The thing some people dont like about smaller caliber faster bullets is they tend to explode on impact. Makes for a great kill but tends to ruin a little more meat. My entrance wound is usually the size of a golf ball and I rarely get an exit wound.

I've also used it on a yote and if you're looking to sell the fur it's not the greatest choice since it'll tear em up pretty good. Works great on prairie dogs too with an 85 gr ballistic tip.

To sum it up, with factory deer loads you'll be impressed with the caliber. Get into hand loading and it'll amaze you. I shoot a rem 700 with a little trigger work and a leupold 4x12 and it's a sub-moa gun out to 600 yds. Not many people can say that about their deer rifle

Interesting. My dad uses Remington cartridges, no ballistic tips or anything exotic...basically the cheapest stuff, and it seems like we always have to hunt for the entrance hole. I always tease him that he never hit the deer but rather scared him to death. grin

Interesting. My dad uses Remington cartridges, no ballistic tips or anything exotic...basically the cheapest stuff, and it seems like we always have to hunt for the entrance hole. I always tease him that he never hit the deer but rather scared him to death. grin

+1 maybe a change in bullets is in order. A quality bonded bullet like a core lock would be a great choice for that fast of a round.

Ok thanks for the replies,

Fishuhalik-- Do you use the different grains like you mentioned (115, 85)?? Just wondering if I could shoot a 115-120 grain bullet for deer and a 85-90 for coyotes and not have to adjust the scope much.

I think this is the next caliber to get....now what model???

The only coyote I shot with it was while I was out prairie dog hunting so that was with the 85gr ballistics. I'm sure something with a little less expansion would be better. And yes, you will have to adjust your scope between bullet types. Drop is substantially different and when I'm shooting at a deer I want my rifle dead on.

And I like the immediate expansion I get with the fusions. I feel that with that expansion you're getting much greater energy dispersion out of the smaller caliber. I would venture to guess that it has more knock down power than a .30. I don't mind ruining a shoulder if it means a dead deer every time.

Oh and lungdeflator, I'm living in Williston right now. If you wanted to hit some prairie dog towns with my -06 sometime you're more than welcome to tag along. It's always nice to actually shoot a rifle before you purchase one. It's kinda hard to find time when I'm working 100+ hrs a week like I have been the last 3 weeks but I should be able to find an evening sometime if you're interested

And as far as what model, I shoot a rem 700. I've heard bad things about newer 700s but if you can find one that's 10+ yrs old and in really good shape that's what I'd recommend, just cuz of my personal experience with one. The savages with the accutriggers are awesome, and the tica t3s are great guns too. And if you wanna flop down some real dough get a weatherby, I hear they're the bee's knees. Haven't shot one personally but the guys I know that are really into rifles swear by em. For optics I've been hearing great things about Trijicon. A little spendy but ya get what ya pay for. I do love my leupold too. I'd get a 4x12 so you can actually see what you're shooting at. I've been hunting in northern MN my whole life and I've shot deer right under my stand and 4x has never seemed too high.

If you think you're going to be slinging more lead at the coyotes (almost certainly so) then maybe also consider the .243. I think you'll find the ammo more widely available and less expensive. Yet, you can still buy a decent deer load for it too like 100gr Partition when you need it.