• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kenai river RV spots

We're planning a return trip to AK next year after being away for years. We'll try the RV route this time...I want the freedom to react to the best fishing while we're up there, we'll mostly fish reds along the Kenai and hit Seward and Homer sometime during the trip.

We've fished most of the popular areas (Soldotna parks, bings, Russian, etc...) over the years, but having some semi-private bank to fish has come in handy in the past. The last place we did that is since closed up, so I'm looking for specific names of new options (new to me that is). I know a lot of the RV "campgrounds" are less than scenic, some just a square carved out of the woods and hookups put in, with trees/privacy at a minimum. Not my ideal, of course, but there are plenty of free spots to park with great views, etc...If I'm going to pay, ideally I want a place with a resonable amount of good shoreline for red fishing, and not a ton of RV spots (to make the private bank crowded). Tall order I know:)

The one I've found so far that could meet those specs is called "Catch'em river front lodge" (they also have RV sites, obviously) but reading about a spot on the web is nothing like hearing from someone who's been there.

We'd probably stay at a couple different places for several days each if possible, as well as moving around the peninsula a bit...

unless a place is a private lodge where they dont allow day use fishermen its going to be busy. we went to 3 different areas this past weekend and everything is packed for any of the public use areas. me and my buddy ended up with with 27 reds this weekend. got most of our fish at moose range meadows day use area.

I wish I knew some spots for you Traveler. I just got back but lucky me stumbled into some private property down Funny River Road across from Bings Landing. Our private spot was crowded at times but that was because there were a bunch of us. I couldn't fish there all day mid week like I wanted to so we went in search of public spots that were not too crowded. We did not find any. The fish really picked up steam on Saturday and Sunday where we got our limits of 6 fish fairly easy. Both days I stayed at 5 fish for quite a while so I could C&R. I probably landed 15 fish each day with many more that got off. My buddy hooked into about a 4 foot king on Sunday for about 3-4 minutes before the hook came loose. That's only the 2nd time I've seen that in all my years on the river. I am glad I got my fix in. Good luck on your search and if I hear of anything I will let you know.

Well I'm glad you made it up fivebucks...looks like I have to wait a whole year:(

I've had a couple different places we've tented or had a cabin where the on-site river fishing was good, and even though it was usually busy with the folks staying there, you got to know them (and when they fished) so it actually worked out pretty good. now one of the places only does packages and the other was split up and sold off apparently. So i'm looking...at least i have some time.

With the king reports being what they are, we won't be looking at doing much fishing for them probably...just hit the reds hard and get our halibut.