• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ac recharge without doing a vacume first?

I have a 2000 cavalier that needs a new/used compressor. I was told I would have to do a vacume on the system before i put in some cans of 134a. What happens if I dont. Anyone try it? Its just a commuter car so if its not going to totaly destroy something I would like to just do it.

In AC systems the reason for putting the system under deep vacuum is to remove air and moisture. Imagine what will happen when moisture comes in contact with the super cold refrigerant.

It's your car and your call, but I'd put her under a vacuum for a couple hours or you just wasted a bunch of time and money.

In AC systems the reason for putting the system under deep vacuum is to remove air and moisture. Imagine what will happen when moisture comes in contact with the super cold refrigerant.

It's your car and your call, but I'd put her under a vacuum for a couple hours or you just wasted a bunch of time and money.

What a timely post and I agree with Eric. My AC has slowly been dying the last few days. I went down to a guy near my house that does all kinds of auto repair out of his garage. He checked my system with a gauge on the low pressure side and it was reading in the very high pressure zone. He tried to put in a can of refrigerant but since it was under so much pressure it did nothing. I ran it over to one of the Auto shops by my house and they devac the moisture out. The guy said that once you lose gas over time and build up water all you have left is the oil and water and you have to get it out and add some gas or it's not going to work! It was really nice driving home in nice cool air! grin It's not cheap though. About $150 bones! frown

Has the system ever been opened or are you just adding refrigerant?

There are some pretty simple kits out there now that have an adjustable dial to set the ambient temp and it will give you a pressure range to fill to. If you are just adding they work great.

If the system has been opened to atmosphere and you are doing a complete fill, I'd personally not recharge without putting a vacuum on it.

I will say this. If you do it yourslef and it doesn't work and then you go to an Auto repair place. They wouldn't touch it as they say it screws up their vac system! Or just don't tell them you tried and see if it works without screwing up their equipment! eek Good Luck!

I will say this. If you do it yourslef and it doesn't work and then you go to an Auto repair place. They wouldn't touch it as they say it screws up their vac system! Or just don't tell them you tried and see if it works without screwing up their equipment! eek Good Luck!

As long as your using a charge with no stop leak in it than there will be no problems.