• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nissan 90 hp rebuild help

I am looking for a shop recommendation for hone and rering on a 1998 NS90A Nissan. I have all the disassembly done. (Meaning only that powerhead is removed).

I am looking for either a shop to complete the rebuild themselves or a shop to just do the hone work and I would complete the rebuild.

Light to moderate scoring on bottom cylinder and light scoring on middle cylinder due to oil alarm failure and therefore lubrication failure.

Compression at 120 top 115 middle and 40 bottom.

No responses??

Well anyway, I took the block to a local Prior Lake auto shop and they bored all three out to 0.020 over and they removed and repaired a couple broken exhaust manifold bolts and a stripped head gasked hole.

New pistons are not Nissan brand but went with Wiseco replacements (dual ring on the Wiseco versus triples on the originals).

Still waiting for the pistons to arrive then the machine shop will do the finish hone to match the pistons.

Gasket set on order.

The one thing to take away from this is that these darn Nissans are great little motors, but parts are not easy to find!!!!!!!!!

So far looking like a reasonable priced rebuild.

pistons $288 (including rings, circlips, wrist pins)

Gasket Set and crank seals $136

Machine shop work $250

Water Pump Impeller $30 (preventative maintenance)

Thermostat $24 (preventative maintenance)

Custom plug for oil pump hole in block $18 (converting to premix as a preventative measure)

$746 in parts and machining and of course my free labor.

Downside of doing on your own is waiting for parts. This project is going to take me at least another 3 weeks to complete. It is only a day or two worth of work to reassemble.....but waiting for stuff takes time.

Upside is my buddy is saving about 1500 to 1700 in labor by talking me into doing the work.

I don't know any of the machine shops in your area or I would have suggested one.

Years and years ago I used oem pistons on rebuilds but have used Wiseco on all since then. Excellent pistons. I like the idea that your shop wants to have the new pistons before finishing, most good shops will do that. You'll find that wisecos tolerances are very close