• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's headin' west this fall?

bmc

Well, who's going where out west this fall?

My dad, brother, a family friend, and I are headed back to the same ranch as last year for another go at those Wyoming speed goats. We'll be out there mid-Sept. and I'm hoping to top my 74 1/2" P&Y trophy from last year. This will be the 2nd out of state hunt for my brother and I so I'm really looking forward to it.

Next......

Brian

Me, me!!! I haven't hunted elk since 2008 and hardly a single day has gone by without thinking about elk hunting! Sep. 14th at 4:00 AM I leave for MT. We're going to do a backpack trip into a roadless area. I've never been to this area and won't get there to scout before hand, so we're expecting things to be tough. However, we've got tags, the gear needed, good attitudes, and we're ready to work hard. I can't wait!!!

There will be three of us going on this trip- me and two good buddies. I'll be the old man in the group (I'm 40) and the other two young punks (32) are not only younger, they're in better shape than me. I've been busting my hump to limit the amount they'll get held up by me.

I'll also get out to Western ND a time or two in Oct and/or Dec. As always, I'm looking forward to that!

I've got a family fishing trip this coming week and after that, I'll struggle to keep my mind on anything other than the elk trip...

Who else is going???

Just me annual Black Hills deer, turkey, trout trip in Mid October. Didn't get drawn in AZ for elk again.

Early stages of planning a Montana archery antelope trip for next fall. (may be a few open spots if anyone's interested wink )

I'm looking forward to your annual Blackhills hunt/story post!!!

If you don't have you're heart set on MT, the place we go in WY is AWESOME!!! All waterhole hunting, tag is $300 or so and the hunt cost is $1200. The guide likes to have groups of 4 and gives you a GREAT hunt.

Let me know if WY goats piq your interest.

Depending on the details of your MT hunt, I might throw my hat in the ring if you wouldn't mind. Need to know the details 1st of course though. I really want to shoot an antelope doing the spot/stalk/decoy hunt, so that would be a big part of my decision.

Brian

Brian

I just put in for the SD rifle drawing but we're planning an October and hopefully December bow hunt in SD also.

NE looks like it's going to be on the plate as well. We'll see how lucky I get with planning the time and $$. I should be putting the money elsewhere but I'm just not that disciplined I guess. grin

Don, MT has intriqued me but I got sticker shock looking at the tag prices! shocked

I was looking at NR elk and deer a couple years ago. I didn't look at speed goats so maybe they're cheap. I'll look today just to satisfy my curiosity.

Soo...Antelope tags run $200 for the first one and $50 for #2 and #3 each if you want them. Plus a $5 application fee and a general archery license to hunt them in the archery only season. I couldn't find a cost for that though.

The only costs I could find for deer and elk were: Combo $944 or separately an elk will cost $794 and a deer will cost $561.

I saw the restitution costs so I got an idea of how they value those critters if you violated their laws.

Elk $12,000

Deer $8,000

Antelope $2,000

Quote:
Early stages of planning a Montana archery antelope trip for next fall. (may be a few open spots if anyone's interested )

Me too!

Chased goats around on the SD/WY border about 4 years ago and have been itching to get back out. Jealous of all you guys heading west this fall for sure. Can't wait to read about how all your hunts went!

Heading West with Wanderer this fall and we will be new to Nebraska. For those that have hunted turkeys or deer in the western part of the state do you have any pointers on where to stay or a place to start. I am considering the Pine Ridge area since it appears to be hills with some tree cover and would work well for spot and stalk type hunting.

Depending on what kind of lodging you're looking for there are a couple nice towns out there with motels and the like or you can bring something to use for camping. I hauled my camper out there and stayed at Fort Robinson State Park. Its a huge campground with full facilities and you're still not far from town. Its also surrounded by public land and lots more within a half hour drive.

Something to remember is Chadron is nice because its a bigger town, but it is also a college town so I don't know what hunting will be like in the immediate area.

Me, me!!! I haven't hunted elk since 2008 and hardly a single day has gone by without thinking about elk hunting! Sep. 14th at 4:00 AM I leave for MT. We're going to do a backpack trip into a roadless area. I've never been to this area and won't get there to scout before hand, so we're expecting things to be tough. However, we've got tags, the gear needed, good attitudes, and we're ready to work hard. I can't wait!!!

There will be three of us going on this trip- me and two good buddies. I'll be the old man in the group (I'm 40) and the other two young punks (32) are not only younger, they're in better shape than me. I've been busting my hump to limit the amount they'll get held up by me.

I'll also get out to Western ND a time or two in Oct and/or Dec. As always, I'm looking forward to that!

I've got a family fishing trip this coming week and after that, I'll struggle to keep my mind on anything other than the elk trip...

Who else is going???

What part of Montana are you headed to Scoot? I'm here in Missoula for college so I hunt the Bitterroots, the Lolo NF, and am looking at possibly hunting the Highwoods and/or Little Belts this year. Season is coming on quick. Can't wait.

What part of Montana are you headed to Scoot? I'm here in Missoula for college so I hunt the Bitterroots, the Lolo NF, and am looking at possibly hunting the Highwoods and/or Little Belts this year. Season is coming on quick. Can't wait.

The Little Belts. I have a buddy who hunted there last year and although there was a lot of pressure, he was into elk most days. We've got some ideas on how to get away from a lot of the hunters (we hope) and we're hoping we can hunt animals that haven't been pestered too much...

Many members of my family have hunted SE of you in the Gravelies. They primarily rifle hunted it, but my brother and cousin have bowhunted it a few times. It's a tough hunt out there, but there are definitely a few good bulls to be had...

Missoula? Man, if I could go back, that'd be one thing I'd change- I'd be going to school in the mountains somewhere, like you are doing. Maybe MT, maybe WY- both have excellent bowhunting opportunities for many animals... Good luck out there this Sep!!!

I'm heading to Montana over the week of Thanksgiving for my first hunt out west! It will be a rifle hunt, though. I can't wait to chase mulies around for a week! I'm pretty pumped!

After a 6 year break after college, I'm getting back into bowhunting again this fall! I have a used Elite Answer on it's way, and the next few months will be spent getting it all set up and shooting as much as I can. While I don't expect to get out a whole lot this fall due to a moose hunt and the Montana trip, I plan on hitting it hard next fall, and I have started collecting points for archery elk out west. Man I love hunting!

I just came to realize that my NE rifle muley tag is good for all seasons. Now i need to try and figure out if i can make a scouting/bowhunting trip out there sometime in september. Almost a waste if i dont try both, right?

I just came to realize that my NE rifle muley tag is good for all seasons. Now i need to try and figure out if i can make a scouting/bowhunting trip out there sometime in september. Almost a waste if i dont try both, right?

Trav, if you have the time I dont know why you wouldn't! Plus you'll feel a heck of a lot better if you see some good stuff with the bow and know you get to go back with a rifle! Can you get an over-the-counter WT tag out there?