• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chain saws?

mabr

Question

Anyone have a recomendation on a mid priced ($150-250)chain saw? Used mainly for cleaning up around the yard with occasional use it taken a few decent sized trees down.

I've been searching reviews and I know If I spend 4-500 Id have a good saw but i just dont see needing to spend that. Thoughts?

22 answers to this question

How about checking around for a used Stihl. If it has not been all beat up even a used one will last a guy a long time. And basically there is not a lot you can do to ruin one aside from totally trashing tne engine.

I would NOT fall into the trap of buying a cheapo just to save money and have a "new" saw.

I bought a Poulan Pro a year ago for about $200 at FF. Typical homeowner with use of maybe two or three times a year. It has a 16 inch bar. One of the nice things about it is that it's relatively light so it's easy to use. I agree that you get a much better saw if you buy a Stihl or Husqvarna but are you going to use it that much? You can rent one for not all that much if you only need it once in a great while.

I checked the C list and quickly realized that unless you know what you're looking for it's hard to tell if it's any good. Compression issues could really be a tough one.

If you get one buy a couple chains. I also bought some stones that I can use to sharpen the chain using the Dremel. It works maybe 3 times before you have to get it done at a shop to get things squared away.

I would NOT fall into the trap of buying a cheapo just to save money and have a "new" saw.

I don't know about that. My dad bought a Sears Craftsman over 25 years ago and I'm still using it today. Take care of something and it usually lasts.

I bought a reconditioned husky 435 off of hsolist for 150, look on there, I am pleased with my purchase, it leaks oil on thethe floor when not in use, but I just empty out the oil reservoir when I am done with it. Checked the husky HSOforum and that was a common issue with that model. I have cut some big wood with it and not slow it down, great for thinning out buckhorn. Stihl's are nice but heavy and expensive.

I have been looking in the E bay place. Lots of factory refurbished Huskys for some pretty good prices. Anyone ever bought a refurbished saw?

I looked into the poulans earlier and Im not sold on them, some good and some bad reviews. I'll have this till im in the ground so I want it to last. My last one was a Johnserad (sp) that finally gave out after 25 years and I abused it pretty good with and it kept on going.

I'll second the Jonseruds...love mine, and its seen a rough life.

I had a smaller Stihl that I loved too. I leaned it out at 11,000 feet one year in elk camp. Came home and forgot about that, and did not use it for a few months. fired it up, and it ran GREAT for about 15 minutes until I met Mr. Squeaky...

Can't go wrong with the Jonseruds, Stihl, or Husky.

I run my grandfather's old 1950s Stihl and my new Husqvarna. I bought the Husky after my HomeDepot Homelite ran into problems. Nobody would work on it and I was told by multiple shops in the Twin Cities that they can't get parts for those types of big box store saws.

My dad bought a Craftsmen saw a few years ago. Personally I think that it sucks because it doesn't cut well and runs poorly. Then again, my dad is almost blind and doesn't maintain things well. You could probably get by on one of those saws but personally I'd go the hsolist route too get a good used Stihl, Jonserud, or Husqvarna.

I am not a pro, and I just cut my own wood, but I have a Poulan Wild Thing, I have had it for about 10 years, I bought it at Menards, and I cut up about 30 trees a year, or more. It cuts good, and works perfect for the occasional use. A few complaints about them, they are a little under powered when you install a good chain on it, the bars are narrow, and will bend easy if it gets pinched. Because of that, I am in the market for a Stihl, or a Husq. But until I find the deal I want to pay, the Poulan will keep me cutting what I need to.

CrawlerHarness, What length bar do you have on the 435? I want to be able to put an 18 inch on mine, would it be to much for it in your opinion?

Man are they proud of stihl's!!!! Again ive been combing the net trying to figure out what I want and have read that although once considered to be the TOP dog, stihls nowadays arent what they used to be from what I have read.

All research is leading me to think the Husky 455 rancher is the saw for me but Like wanderin said I gotta find the deal on it I'm willing to pay.

I don't know about that. My dad bought a Sears Craftsman over 25 years ago and I'm still using it today. Take care of something and it usually lasts.
Sears everything was made by someone else back then so it may have been a McCulloch or something.

But, I'm sure it was a "Ted Williams" brand! grin

I've always liked stihls best. I've used huskys and johnsrud and of the two like huskys more. I've also used poulons, mccollough, and homelite which all have a place, just not in my garage. Stihl seems to have a good weight balance though they are heavier. I just bought an MS290 which is more than you want to spend at $420 after six pack of oil and a decent chain. I'd look at the ms180 or 250 for good homeowner saws. If you plan to cut more volume a larger saw is nice. I bought the 290 because I cut about 10 cords of oak and birch every year. The dealer I bought from told me I would be fine with and probably impressed with the MS250 and he's been dealing with stihl for a long time.

Since you'll continue to get advice about brands, I'll just toss out to make sure that you get a bar long enough to handle all of the jobs you plan to do. There's nothing worse than being short on bar and long on tree girth. You can still do the jobs but it's a lot more dangerous in unskilled hands!

I ended up pulling the trigger on a factory refurbished Husqvarna 455 Rancher 90 day warranty with 18 B/C. Paid $259.95 including free shipping and no sales tax, coming from Lincoln NE. $140 lower than a new one so I think i did pretty good.

Ive looked at so many I finally just did it. Becomes a pain comparing all of them when alot are so close in specs. This should last as long as I do from all the research I've done.

I bought a new Stihl 180 Mini Boss 3 years ago so I would not have to handle the weight of my 036 Pro. The 180 is very light, has a 14 inch bar vs the 16 on the 036 Pro. I have found myself grabbing the 180 most of the time unless I had to take down a very large tree. I have had no issues with it and no bar oil leaks. 2c

Have been using chain saws for five decades or so and at one time or another had probably every name you can think of....often many various saws around the place. Stihl is it, hands down. Strong, dependable and built to last. I think there are probably half dozen saws around the compound now and maybe ONE that is not a Stihl.

I bought a Shindaiwa about 7 years ago. Had never heard of them until then but it has performed flawlessly so far. Apparently they must not be on par with Stihl or Husky because I don't see them mentioned but mine works well for what I need.