• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ported chokes and autoloaders

Might be a better topic for the firearm forum, but I thought I'd throw it out here first as it mainly pertains to water fowling.

I recently purchased an M2. I'm probably getting bit ahead of myself as I haven't even tried all the chokes it came with yet, but I'm honestly considering picking up an aftermarket choke tube for it.

I used a Patternmaster close range in my 870 for years with a lot of good results. Maybe my shooting just improved naturally, or maybe there actually is something legit with those chokes. In either case, I found myself consistent killing more birds and crippling less after putting in the Patternmaster.

Naturally, I thought getting one for my M2 would be a good fit, but I'm struggling with the decision. For starters, I don't know how a ported choke would effect the action of the inertia system. From what I understand, porting has more of an effect on gas autos, but I haven't heard anything about the inertia systems.

Anyway, just curious what other people think. I need to pattern my shotgun, regardless but I have a few Cabelas gift cards and points that need to get spent and I thought a Patternmaster might be a good rout to go (along with a case of shells and a kennel cover for the Remmers).

I was under the impression that the porting doesnt effect the guns ability to cycle gas or inertia systems as the gas is ported after the fact of it being used for the purpose of ejection or cycling.

I have also shot a few different auto 10's with ported paternmasters in them and didnt notice a difference in cycling.

I do know that the pattern master in the 10 BPS was far more superior that the stock choke.

I also have ported my old 870 express and expanded the forcing cone and it is a far better improvement pattern wise tighter groups and less recoil up.

Tyler I would shoot the gun and geta feel for it you may be fine with it. You can always add to it later.

The porting should not affect the cycling of the gun in anyway like stated above. However after you pattern your factory chokes if you still think you need an improvement I would recommend carlson choke tubes. I have tried patternmasters, kicks, briley,carlson, and others and the most consistent in all guns I have found are the carlsons. You can get the 3 pack for the same price as a patternmaster as well. I know you didn't ask for opinions on other chokes though so sorry if this didn't help.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The porting should not affect the cycling of the gun in anyway like stated above. However after you pattern your factory chokes if you still think you need an improvement I would recommend carlson choke tubes. I have tried patternmasters, kicks, briley,carlson, and others and the most consistent in all guns I have found are the carlsons. You can get the 3 pack for the same price as a patternmaster as well. I know you didn't ask for opinions on other chokes though so sorry if this didn't help.

No, that's fine. I respect your opinion. I actually swapped a Carlson out of my 870 for the Patternmaster. From thereon out my shooting vastly improved. Not a knock on Carlson as I know a lot of folks who use them, but the design of a pattern master seemed to work just as advertised. That's the only reason I'm aiming toward them again. Either that, or a Drake Killer. The gun smith who machines them lives less than a mile from my house. I've heard he's a standup guy.

Gordie got it right. I have a ported PM in my Browning Gold 10. Big difference and I love it. The guys next to you in the boat will HATE it. Ported chokes have several benefits for the shooter but the guy next to you will have ringing ears. They are much louder off to the sides.

Gordie got it right. I have a ported PM in my Browning Gold 10. Big difference and I love it. The guys next to you in the boat will HATE it. Ported chokes have several benefits for the shooter but the guy next to you will have ringing ears. They are much louder off to the sides.

Oh yea I forgot about that part but I'm sure the guys that have hunted with me never forget. grin