• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Gogebic area info

Hello, My family is thinking about heading to the Lake Gogebic area for a vacation toward the end of August. Does anyone have any suggestions on a family friendly resort on Gogebic. Good swimming, nice cabins close to the lake are a few of the things we would be looking for. Another question, how would a guy go about looking to catch some walleyes, and Jumbo perch that time of year and is it usually a fairly productive time. Thanks for any info, it is appresiated. Stump

I would also look into private rentals as there are only a couple of resorts that are still in business. Lake Gogebic is a rocky lake so if you are looking for a sandy beach they are few and far between, but non-the-less swimming is always nice that time of the year. I know the state parks have nice beaches if you want to dock and spend sometime swimming on the West Shore that is always an option also. Tips for catching eyes in mid-late summer on LG is pretty open, I would start running cranks right down the middle, that typically provides the best results. As for the perch, you can find them closer to the north shore on weed breaks using slip bobbers and worms.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

Thanks for the info guys. We ended up booking at Bears Nine Pines. It seemed the best fit for the family, and should be a great time. Do you usually just pull deep diving cranks or on leadcore. Later, Stump

It runs about at a 25-30 foot average right down the middle, so what ever it takes to get them down there is what you need. I used to see lots of old-times that run down-riggers to keep that bait on the bottom.

Just ask Bear, he will put you in the right spot.

Thanks for the tips Perchking, I don't pull cranks deep where I fish here in Minnesota usually just run bottom bouncers and spinners when the fish are out deep here, just wondering what works out there so I'm all stocked up. Thanks again Stump

check out the root cellar next time your up, they have the nicest restaurant on the lake, and all summer they rent out there new lodge rooms with dish tv and internet for 35 bucks a night. Very nice accommodations.

the boat launch is not the best but there is a nice launch 1 mile up the road.

I have also rented private cabins for whitetail lodging, they are more on the expensive side but you can bring your dog and most cabins are very beautiful with boat lifts and docks.

As for the perch, you can find them closer to the north shore on weed breaks using slip bobbers and worms.

Is there any shore fishing opportunities on LG for these perch near the north shore? I'll be going through the area on a camping trip at the end of the month and would like to give it a try for a few hours.

For the folks that do not have a gun or bow in their hand come fall, there are endless possibilities to catch these hogs from shore that is if you have a good set of waders. There is a dieing breed of anglers that fish with cane like poles in the pencil reeds on the north shore, just wading the shorelines in the fall. I personally have never done it, but I heard they are pretty successful.

Good luck, let us know how you do if you go.