• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little embarassing....

CANOPY SAM

I have a little issue that I'm wondering if anyone else suffers from as well.

At almost 46 yrs. old, while riding on the open range at 60+ mph, and having no windshield, my puffy old cheeks gets to flappin' in the wind like a Basset Hound hangin' his head out the car window! With a little head wind they actually ripple like the waves on the water!

Does anyone else experience this strange phenomenon?

I've found this to be rather amusing as I pass cars filled with little kids. As I come along side the vehicle I'm passing I simply smile, open my mouth a little while having my head turned toward the passengers, and my whole head blows up like a balloon!!! whistle

The occupants, watching the "cool motorcycle", either erupt into laughter, or shriek in horror!

Perhaps this is the same reason why many old bikers wear heavy beards all year round? wink

I'm 48 and have been thinking seriously about putting a windshield on. I think I'd rather have the windshield and enjoy my ride, keep the bugs off me and flapping cheeks and whistle in the ears, than the 'cool' no windshield look.

I've been going back and forth between a National windshield which is what excelsior Henderson originallly used or a smaller just as effective (talking to those that have them) Windvest windhield...

Good Luck!

Ken

Wear a helmet, problem solved. LOL I like my Scorpion exo 500. check em out.
Um, yep that was what I was going to say also. Windsheld or helmet. Keepd the bugs off and the brains in! wink

Thanks for the cautionary advice guys, but I'm simply not a helmet wearer.

Quite frankly, if and when I go down I'd prefer to just cash in my ticket right then and there.

I love the feel of the wind in my hair, and on my face, flying down the road. Kinda give all that up with a helmet and face mask. If you feel safer with a helmet on then I have all the respect in the world for that. It's just not my deal.

My comments above were simply aimed at a little levity and jocularity. Wondering if anyone else has the "face flappy" issue? wink

I am 31 and my face does that! Man It is really going to go good in a decade or two. whistle

I hear ya on the helmet. When I get to have another bike I will take a helmet till my kids are not depending on me to raise them. Lucked out this year I still am kicking but he bike has been let go and won't be ridden anymore.

Hey Sam, just fill your cheeks with nuts like a squirrel smile Won't flap, you always have lunch, and when kids in cars laugh you will at least think they are laughing "with" you wink haha! Flappy here too!

High 80's again here today. Wearing sandals, shorts, and a wife-beater, while riding a pretty stiff head wind I noticed even my arms "flapping" a bit!

Arms, cheeks, and jowls! Does this bike make me look fat? grin

With the muscle shirt, think I may have had a little "Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction" as well! Answer me this...Why is it okay for a guy to show full frontal chest, but it's not okay for a lady?

I mean honestly, what's the difference? At 46, mine aren't really all that much smaller! blush

With the muscle shirt, think I may have had a little "Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction" as well! Answer me this...Why is it okay for a guy to show full frontal chest, but it's not okay for a lady?

I mean honestly, what's the difference? At 46, mine aren't really all that much smaller! blush

Because ladies don't have hair on or-between them!!!!!!! eek

"Wearing sandals, shorts, and a wife-beater. Arms, cheeks, and jowls! Does this bike make me look fat?" If you're concerned about your image I'd suggest wearing proper riding gear. Sandals and Shorts? Really? crazy

I dunno Sam, my "new to me" bike has a pretty decent shield. Previous to the 2012 riding season I'd run no windshield or a smallish one if at all.

I'm allergic to bees and I seem to get stung at least 2 times per season.

I rode the entire 2012 season with the big road king classic factory windshield on and I loved it. I didn't get a bee sting all summer either. right around 4500 miles, no stings and my face wasn't flapping.

grin

Shorter rides the no windshield wasn't bad, 150+ miles with the wind pounding your face and chest got to be a little bit of a PITA. I put the windshield back on and left it there. Haven't had a bee to the head at 65 MPH since. Not too mention a lot more comfortable with the temp drops.

Also at the age were comfort means a little more than cool wink

I love the piercing pain of a June Bug, or Bumble Bee to the forehead at 70 mph, and the subsequent spray of bug juice on my face. I wonder if this is akin to being shot in the head with a .22 from long range? cry The point of impact kind of looks like a GSW.

I recently went on a mission trip to Africa. While preparing for the trip, and while living there, I lost 25 lbs.! Worked hard, ate less, drank tons of water, all good. Thought I might have the "flappy issue" licked.

The moment I set foot back on American soil I got fat again! Back to the duct tape idea.