• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meat Sales

19 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Dont ya just love how they say this many per pound, but put it in a 12 oz bag... LOL   

Yes. Mine is a 14 oz pkg, and has a pic of the 16-21 shrimp in  PER POUND checked off......??!?! 

Well, I've now eaten the whole bag. :tired:  I'll be on a quest from now on to find out if there really is cold water north american shrimp out there that you can afford. DID find some jumbo ones at a seafood company; 5 lbs for $195 wholesale. I talked to my cuz in Pismo Beach last nite, he said they're impossible to find ... and spendy as heck. All theirs are from Asia. I'll report back in the next week or two to see what I've found...gonna talk to my buddy who owns the big butcher shop in town, and ask my other butcher buddy where they get theirs.     0295.png

Edited by RebelSS

West coast shrimp will come from mexico or asia.  I think shrimp are a warm water thing.  Outer banks, gulf of mexico, etc (east coast).  California coast is too deep and too cold.   Lobsters, clams, abalone, crabs, sea urchins are what grows there.  

Wild Shrimp is expensive.  Actually all shrimp is expensive thanks to the tariffs to "protect the american shrimp industry". 

Not quite right, Del, but I'll sure agree about the pricing thing....My buddy in the pacific NW (Sandpoint, Idaho) gets it, and he has a cousin in Maine that fishes for shrimp. He quoted me the price they PAY for it at market there; unreal. By the time it's processed and gets here, 6-7 times as much, using the price he gave me. And yes, you can buy them quick-frozen, too.They're just not the "big" or "jumbo" sized anymore like you see in shrimp cocktail, but IMO, a LOT better, way more firm and sweet. I was shipped a lb of them a couple years back. I think anything "farm-raised" is softer and just "mushy" to me. My Dad and I used to catch catfish and bullheads and fry up huge piles of them. Now go eat "farm-raised" catfish. Yuk. 

http://www.thecitycook.com/articles/2012-02-01-what-s-in-season-maine-shrimp

https://www.pacseafood.com/products/details/seafood/cold-water-shrimp/

Danged "merge"!   $#@!  

Well, I found some.....wanna split 10 lbs, Del?!?   $199.50!!!! :tired:

http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/shellfish.htm

Edited by RebelSS

Shrimp are graded by the number of shrimp per pound. They are NOT necessarily a "warm" water species. The best are wild caught from Alaska, a state which very rigidly enforces standards and limits the harvest to maintain a sustainable population of all shellfish and finfish populations. Usually the prices you see posted INCLUDE the overnight shipping which is expensive. As I said the other day Costco DOES get some decent small shrimp. The really LARGE shrimp (prawns) are actually not as flavorful or as abundant as the smaller shrimp and are best grilled rather than used in cocktails.   Harvesting and processing shrimp is time consuming and adds to the cost along with the flash freezing systems some processors/sellers maintain.

Okay, now you know.

40 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

I just gave my grandma 12 nice crappies fillets for nothing. Yep I kept 6 fish cleaned em and brought em to her door for nothing. She was on the phone telling all her friends on the great deal she got. I love my grandma.

thumbs_up_by_weapons_expert_cool-d6sx4o7

Cold water shrimp.  Learn something every day.  I recall buying shrimp at what we called the Pungo Fish Market in Virginia.  But that isn't cold water. 

20 dollars a pound?  I don't like shrimp that much. 

Cub this week has a great price on petite bottom sirloin steak for 3.99 lb.  Going to get me a whole piece and fix it like a prime rib.  I did this on my page and it shows that you can make a very nice roast from this cut.  Fresh boneless chicken breasts for 1.79 lb.  Beef boneless chuck roasts for 4.99 lb.  Boneless pork chops 2.99 lb.  Smokehouse fresh link or bulk sausage for 2 for $7.

County Market has boneless pork center cut pork roasts for 2.48 lb.  Jenio ground turkey for 2.98 lb.  Atlantic salmon or tilapia for 5.99 lb.  Bnls chuck roast for 4.79 lb.  67oz. GoldnPlump chicken value pacs for 6.99 each.  Bnls pork chops for 2.48 lb.  Fresh bone-in pork country ribs for 1.99 lb.  good luck.

Fareway Foods has frozen chicken breast, 5 lb pkg for $4.99, I picked one up...whole boneless pork loins, $1.99 lb with coupon,  93% super lean ground beef at $3.99 lb, Tombstone Pizza, 3 for $10, boneless rump roast, $3.69 lb. Boneless pork ribeyes, 5 oz each, .99 a piece. Ran over to Silver Lake Foods to grab a double pack of Schweigert Old fashioned coarse ground wieners....for $5 for the two. One is normally $6 at Walmart  What a deal! I was there at 1:00 PM today, and only about ten packs were left, it was only "while they last". I got mine. :grin:

3 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

..... a double pack of Schweigert Old fashioned coarse ground wieners....for $5 for the two.

Wow, those really sound good, haven't had them in a loooooong time. I'll have to put them on the grocery list!!!!!

When I was a kid, my mom had me ride bike to the store to get those quite a bit, and I thought they were "horse" ground hot dogs for quite a few years.

Edited by lovebigbluegills

HAHAHA!! Maybe they are! :grin:  Seriously, I could NOT believe the price...because I just passed on buying a pkg at Walmart the other day, due to the cost. Think they were $5.97............and I just got four times the amount for $5. Sell by date is in 2 weeks, but mine are always in the freezer, anyway. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, RebelSS said:

HAHAHA!! Maybe they are! :grin:  Seriously, I could NOT believe the price...because I just passed on buying a pkg at Walmart the other day, due to the cost. Think they were $5.97............and I just got four times the amount for $5. Sell by date is in 2 weeks, but mine are always in the freezer, anyway. 

Walmart................:(:cry::sick::sick::sick:

Cub this week has boneless half pork loins for 1.99 lb.  Time for Canadian Bacon.  Fresh chicken drumsticks or thighs for 88 cents Lb.  89% lean ground beef for 2.49 lb.  Bone-in beef strip steaks for 6.99 lb.  Pork baby back ribs for 3.99 lb.  Beef chuck roasts 4.99 lb.  Smithfield center cut ham slices 2.99 lb.  Fresh steelhead fillets or Ahi tuna 7.99 lb.  

County Market has a coupon for boneless pork country style ribs buy one get one free. 93% lean ground beef 4.99 lb.  Fresh pork shoulder roast or steak 1.99 lb.  Boneless beef round tip steak 3.99 lb.  Boneless round tip roast 3.69 lb.  good luck.

Ya, I guess you could call it that and I bet they are good.  If you want to see one of my best meals ever and how it's made check out my page on the recipe page.  Beef rouladen my way, the real authentic German way.  good luck.

Ya, the term roulad means pretty much anything rolled and stuffed with stuff LOL.  The Italians normally stuff theirs with cheese, breadcrumbs and eggs to my understanding. The French normally stuff theirs with veggies and fruits at times [and I'm sure variations of that also with other ingredients].  And then of course the Germans.  Rouladen is a thin slice of beef smeared with mustard, chopped onions, chopped raw bacon, diced dill pickles and is rolled and tied up or held together with toothpicks.  Kalbi and Rouladen has to be my tied for 1st place meal.  good luck.