• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meat Sales

You can't beat that. $1.29 lb? Dang.

What the heck is going on with beef prices? While pork and chicken have alternately on sale for most of the spring & summer, 80/20 Chuck has gone from being on sale for $1.99 to now $2.99 in about a year. And those are sales prices. Chuck roast are just as bad, having doubled in the past year. I won't even get into ribeye roasts and steaks.

Why would pork be where it is and beef 2-3 times more expensive?

Well, this story isn't neccessarily a meat sale story, but it didn't deserve it's own thread and I didn't know where else to post this.

A new meat market opened in Mora a few months ago. On my way up from the Cities, I started to think about steak for supper and that I hadn't been in the store yet. I'm not a huge steak guy, but if I get one, it's gotta be a Rib Eye.

I remember RH talking about Chuck Eyes and after seeeing the $11.95 price tag on rib eyes, I thought I ask. The girl goes back and asks the butcher if there were any and he said he could cut some. (I didn't even ask price as I also remember RH saying there are only 2 eyes on the roll, plus it had to be less expensive than the Rib Eyes.)

The butcher asks me how many I want so I said two. He said good choice and confirmed what RH said about only having 2 on the roll. He comes out smiling 5 minutes later and asks me if this will work. The smile was like he was congratulating me for such a fine purchase and it seemed obvious no one comes in looking for these. They were 2 beautful steaks totaling 2.29 lbs. I said wrap em up. As the girl was weighing them I saw &5.69 lb come up on the scale. 1/2 price of the Ribeye.

One of the two is currently swimming in Lawrey's Steak & Chop marinade (good stuff when you can get it @ a buck a bottle.) Onto to the grill it will go indirect @ 300 with a foil full of Cherry wood chips over the back burner. Corn and fresh green beans with bacon (I'll eat my whole year's worth of veggies in the next month or so). Film at 11:00

man those are some big chuck eyes for two. there are more than 2 chuck eys in a chuck eye roll however it's the first two off the chuck that are the best. when we cut chuck eye's for the counter off a chuck we would only cut the first two.

now Leaky if you are near the County Market in Andover, they have chuck eye rolls on sale there for 2.99 lb. they can be cut into steaks at home and marinaded just like you did. i also buy them and save them for special dinners by tying them together and roast them as i would a rib eye roast. after all it is a continuation of a ribeye anywhay. so if your in the neighborhood stop by and pick one up. i have also butterflyed the whole chuck eye and cut them into strips for boneless beef country ribs.

the chuck eye's the guy cut for you should be round shaped. almost as though he left part of the chuck steak on there by the weight you describe them at. usualy a good sized chuck eye steak runs around 8 oz but most are less even. that is at around 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch thick. good luck.

RH - Is there a difference between a Chuck Roll and a Chuck Eye Roll? Here is a picture of one of the steaks. Do you think the bottom of the steak is Chuck Eye and the rest is regular Chuck Steak? It would make sense as this is a 16 oz piece of meat. They are about 1 1/2 inch thick.

full-2133-23147-chuckeye.jpg

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. I just want to be sure I know what I'm buying. I do get up to Andover and will need to check out the Country Market. Thank you!

the bottom of that steak is the chuck eye. the top portion of what i see is what we used for boneless beef ribs. he did not give you a true chuck eye. a chuck eye is only the bottom "round part" that you see there. marinaded it should be fine with the chuck eye more temnder but i have had the boneless beef ribs also from the chuck and they where good also. Cubs sells just the chuck eye for under 6 bucks a pound. they should not have charged you that price for that cut.

a boneless chuck roll is something i have bought from Sams. that is the whole chuck so to speak. from the whole chuck roll i can take the chuck eye out of it and the boneless beef ribs and use the rest for chuck roast and stew meat. good luck.

That new meat maket south of Mora sounds good. They have an ad in our local paper. They are selling 85% lean ground beef for $2.89/lb. We just bought a bag from Isanti today at $2.99/lb but think we will get a bag of the 85% also. I don't think we'll see that price come a few weeks for many months again.

Thanks RH. I have it out on the grill right now. It's way more meat than I can eat, so I'll focus on the eye and save the rest for something else. Same with the other steak. Eat the eye and use the rest for maybe a nice beef barley soup. Next time I talk to this guy, I'll be more specific about what I want.

that upper portion of meat which i call the boneless beef rib or as some call boneless beef country rib is also tender when marinaded. however when someone sells you a chuck eye steak it should be only that. i'm sure you will have a tasty meal tonight. good luck.

that upper portion of meat which i call the boneless beef rib or as some call boneless beef country rib is also tender when marinaded. however when someone sells you a chuck eye steak it should be only that. i'm sure you will have a tasty meal tonight. good luck.

This was a good learning experience. Although the eye portion was very good, I didn't get what I paid for and that never sits very well with me. We'll see what happens next time when I tell him I only want the eye, not the rest of what he cut (although it's going to make some good soup). I'll definately give them another shot.

I saw that Cub has what looks like that upper portion on sale for $4.49 lb.

unless i missed something, what sticks out the most is top sirloin at 3.98 lb. at County Market along with their 2 day sale this week Wendsday and Thursday. Rainbow has whole fryers at 89 cents a pound along with 25% off of ground beef. Cubs has T-bones and Porters for 6.99 lb. good luck.

man those are some big chuck eyes for two. there are more than 2 chuck eys in a chuck eye roll however it's the first two off the chuck that are the best. when we cut chuck eye's for the counter off a chuck we would only cut the first two.

now Leaky if you are near the County Market in Andover, they have chuck eye rolls on sale there for 2.99 lb. they can be cut into steaks at home and marinaded just like you did. i also buy them and save them for special dinners by tying them together and roast them as i would a rib eye roast. after all it is a continuation of a ribeye anywhay. so if your in the neighborhood stop by and pick one up. i have also butterflyed the whole chuck eye and cut them into strips for boneless beef country ribs.

the chuck eye's the guy cut for you should be round shaped. almost as though he left part of the chuck steak on there by the weight you describe them at. usualy a good sized chuck eye steak runs around 8 oz but most are less even. that is at around 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch thick. good luck.

Those Chuck Eye steaks are a tasty steak, I find if you can cook them

fresh they are good with just a nice rub. Never heard of the Chuck Eye

Roll, sounds like the next thing to Prime rib for a lot less cash.

i have tied two chuck eye rolls together and used a rub and roasted them and while they dont have a fatty cap like a rib eye roast they are well marbled and are very tasty and tender. i have had them for a Christmas dinner and saved a lot of money. very seldom do you see them around. the County Market here in Andover has them usualy once a year. i got about 6 of them. i'll have to ask if they well get some more in. good luck.