• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So, looking at a job move to Pierre South Dakota. Curious about the hunting/fishing in the "area."

I see plenty of water in the area so assume there is plenty of fishing to go around. Does that include ice fishing as well? What kind of fishing do you enjoy most out there?

How about the hunting? Ducks are my mine prey, so hoping that they are around the area? Being that its South Dakota you have to have deer and pheasants!

Not looking for any specific places to go hunt or fish, but wanted to know what the area had to offer for game. Thanks so much for any feedback

Lots of deer and pheasant in the Pierre area. Ducks as well...though geese are much more plentiful. And there is usually a longer waterfowl season along the Missouri River. Great fishing on the Missouri River as well. Ice fishing is kind of hit and miss...some years the water stays open. There was open water fishing all through the winter this past year. Remember...the fishing season does not close in South Dakota...

If you like hunting and fishing, I would suggest that Pierre is a much better place for pursuing those hobbies than Mankato...

I think Jarrod pretty much covered it, but don't forget about the grasslands for sharptails!

Pierre is kind of off the beaten path, some may like that, others may not. As for outdoors I don't know that you could pick a better location other than maybe NE SD. They each have their pros and cons.

Your also closer to the black hills which opens up even more possibilities for outdoors stuff.

nope no sharptails in the grasslands just a nasty rumor
they definitely aren't as abundant as pheasants and the numbers have declined the last 2-3 years but they are out there, you just have to put the work in to find them

a good pair of a boots and some dogs that run big is all you need