• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Border Crossing stories- Hows it been going this year for everyone? Any better?

I crossed in January and February with no problems at all. Then again, I've been going there 4-5 times a year for the last 10 years and have never had a problem with Canadian Customs. A handful of times we had to pull aside for a quick check of the truck, and run inside for them to scan our driver's licenses. Not ever more than a 10 or 15 minute delay.

The worst we ever had it was getting pulled over by U.S. Customs on our way to Canada, just before we got to the border. That was a 2 1/2 hour delay that included completely pulling every last item out of the truck and scattering it on the ground in -30 temps, waiting in a room while about 8 people on their computers kept looking up at us like criminals, and a not so friendly interrogation when an agent pulled me into a dark room away from the rest of our group making VERY severe threats as to what would happen to me when I didn't admit we were smuggling drugs out of the country, and stern warning me I was not to tell anyone what was talked about in the room. After the 2 1/2 hours we were released to spend another 1/2 hour freezing our tails off repacking all of our fishing gear. That was bad. But again, that was U.S. Customs, not Canada.

As others have mentioned, pull up to the booth with all windows open so they can see everyone, have passports ready, know what you are bringing in when it comes to bait, alcohol, tobacco, look them in the eyes and answer their questions, and don't crack jokes (although sometimes I like to see if I can get a smile out of them, but it very rarely works). If you do all this, and nobody has a criminal record, you will be good to go. Heck, one time on a grouse hunting trip up there my dad and I brought 3 guns across the border. Throughout the entire process, from the time we pulled up to the booth through the paperwork process for the guns, neither of us had a single form of I.D. checked. They never once glances at a D.L. or Passport, and I think my dog got two treats out of the deal from them. They have a job to do, and if you cooperate and let them do it, I don't think you should have much trouble.

Not sure I understand this?

If you were checked out "by US customs on the way to canada just before the border" I dont get it?

When you are going from the U.S. to Canada you are being checked by canadien border patrol.

Were you checked by U.S. Customs before you got to the border and then AGAIN by canadien customs??

I am not sure I understand...

I believe he was checked on the U.S. side before entering Canada this also happens time to time, I have been checked before entering back into Canada, Ran my name and on my way..

Cheers

Rob

They have a reciprocity agreement with US FWS. If they see a violation, the US will hold onto you until Canadian agents can cite/whatever. Just a simple agreement between two countries.

So since the USFWS has a reciprocity aggreement with Canada does that mean our state DNR has one with the province of Ontario to enforce their foreign game laws? Can individual states actually seize the property, penalize and prosecute U.S. citizens for violating foreign countries wildlife statutes? I remember the story a few months ago regarding the USFWS seizing those Gibson guitars from India citing the Lacey act but I wasn't aware of states having those same powers.

From WI Outdoor News yesterday

Morson, Ont. — An “operational bulletin” issued by the Canadian government and intended to give some one-time law offenders from the United States a single free pass into the country – at the discretion of the border patrol agent – appears to be working in most cases.

Justin Gaudry, of Mylie’s Place resort north of Morson, and a member of the board of directors of the North Western Ontario Tourism Association, said last week that the “interim step” offered beginning a few months ago, was allowing some U.S. citizens into Canada, who’d typically require “rehabilitation,” most of the time for an alcohol-related driving offense.

“I haven’t heard any terrible stories yet,” Gaudry said regarding entry into Canada. “The whole thing (with the directive) was to get tourism going back in a positive direction.”

Operational Bulletin 389 still left discretion up to individual border agents, though Gaudry said the superintendent at the Fort Frances entry point had told agents there (International Falls, Minn.) to adhere to the directive. It was suggested those at the

Rainy River (Baudette) crossing do the same.

The policy announced in March, and steered through the parliament by Greg Rickford, a member of parliament from the Kenora District of Ontario, allowed for a one-time fee exemption for a “temporary resident permit” for certain offenses, such as driving while intoxicated, as long as no jail time had been ordered as part of the sentence.

The Canada Border Services Agency, responding to a request for clarification on the matter from Wisconsin Outdoor News, said at that time that “There is no guarantee that a foreign national will be issued a temporary resident permit.”

Typically, those with one OWI, for example, must pay a $200 fee in order to be allowed into Canada.

For Gaudry, the operational bulletin is a good starting point, and an unexpected one. He’s been working in the resort industry since he was 14, for 20 years now.

“I expect to be in it for another 20 years,” he said, “and I thought I’d be long dead in the ground before anyone touched this thing.”

However, he added, unless a long-term policy follows, this interim measures will be considered “a slap in the face.”

One letter writer to Wisconsin Outdoor News, however, said he’d seen examples of Canadian officials denying entry into the country, not granting the one-time exemption.

“As you can imagine, this is causing the usual heartache and financial burden (to resort owners and visiting sports people alike),” the letter writer said.

Gaudry said it’s important that travelers be honest about their past offenses, and that they be aware that there’s a one-offense limit, that a conviction of another sort from year’s past could nullify the one-time exemption.

However, he adds, the North Western Ontario Tourism Association would like to hear the experiences of those passing though points of entry into Canada – whether they be good or bad.

So in other words, still need to drive for hours on a "maybe" and crossed fingers. smile

"quote"On another note, I noticed someone in this thread comment that if you are staying in the NW angle in Minnesota you can bring more alcohol and tobacco if you are simply passing through Canada...can anyone vouch for that being true? "quote"

I think he said they declared it, maybe was not charged a duty.

We have done this for years crossing over to go to the Angle, declare all of our alcohol and have never been charged duty for overages when they know we are staying in Minnesota. You better still declare it, don't assume they do not care because you are crossing thru!

Same here. Easiest crossing back to the US at I Falls ever. The tourism is WAY down up there. Had one car in front of us at the border sunday at noon. We've waited 2 hours before.

I've been crossing the border several times a year for over 30 years on my fishing trips. I have never been asked by the Canadians if I'm bringing any fish across. When I cross back to the US I declare them when asked if I'm bringing anything back from Canada, but I've never been asked about fish when I have been up on a C&R trip and said nothing.

Thats so weird! The one question they always ask us coming back from Canada is "how many fish".

I never bring back fish - and when I answer "nothing" I always get a little weird look and expect them to start looking through things. I have actually been tempted to just bring a fish back just so I can declare it and not raise any eyebrows.

Hoffer,

Sorry I didn't see your question before. Yes, we were pulled over by U.S. Customs right before we got to the border. We were then checked by Canadian Customs when we got to the border. While being interrogated they told my why they pulled me over, but also warned me I was not to tell anyone (including the guys I was with) the reason for it.

I also have the same thing happen coming back from Canada in the summer. 90% of the time we do not bring a single fish home. You are right, it does raise some suspicions at the border! I always just tell them that I am more than happy to have a couple shore lunches while I'm there, and feel no need to take fish home. I do usually bring back a small load of driftwood to give to a buddy that enjoys trying his hand at taxidermy. This requires a quick inspection by someone from the Department of Agriculture. Otherwise I usually fly right through with no problems.

Just traveled up and back, total time spent at the port of entry, maybe 5 minutes. We always have the kids sing "Oh Canada" when we get to the Canadian side and the Lee Greenwood version of "God Bless the USA" when we get home, if it doesn't help at least it puts 'em in a good mood.

Just traveled up and back, total time spent at the port of entry, maybe 5 minutes. We always have the kids sing "Oh Canada" when we get to the Canadian side and the Lee Greenwood version of "God Bless the USA" when we get home, if it doesn't help at least it puts 'em in a good mood.

LOL!!! that's funny! Or buy them some tim hortons coffee... that works great too!!!

Been across and back twice already this year. Once with the wife and the other with a couple buddies from work. Seamless both times. Even hit the border at the right times.

Bonus: Great fishing too!