• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Border Crossing stories- Hows it been going this year for everyone? Any better?

I am headed up tomorrow night with a group of 5. They ALWAYS manage to mess with one of us, even if it comes down to a 7 year old reckless driving ticket.

It's always the old "okay, now just go on ahead and pull up right over there". Then we proceed to sit there for 1-2 hours while the derelicts take there sweet time getting to us.

Is there any annual crossers out there that have noticed the alleged "leniency" that is supposed to be in effect this year?

I will be posting how we fared next week.

You have some serious bad luck. I cross about 18-20 times per year and have NEVER had an issue. Only 2 times in past 10 years has my group been brought in for any kind of check, so another 178 trips have been scott free... not even a delay!

WE find it much more of a hassle getting back into the US!!! They are fruit Nazis!

Sounds like your vehicle or someone's passport has some sort of red flag on it... there's no reason you should be getting bothered if you have no felonies or no DWI's.... doesn't make sense...

Went through and back last week.

Went from U.S. to Canada in less than 30 seconds. 4 questions and done deal.

On the way back, they asked us to pull to the side. I was thinking the worst. They simply looked under the vehicle with mirrors and in another 30 seconds we were on our way. I seriously do not have an issue with them checking in this manner. They took an extra precaution, nothing excessive and we were on our way. It was very smooth overall both ways.

I cross 4 to 6 times per year. Typically, we get asked 5 or 6 questions then go on our way. Coming back to the US, they typically want to look under the boat cover and may ask about packaged meats, beverages, fish, etc. It all seems reasonable to me. None of us have ever had any arrests or serious driving violations.

Going into Canada is a privilage, not a right. They don't want felons coming into their country. Do you blame them? Do we want felons from other countries coming into the USA? No. Personally, I don't want to meet any reckless or drunk drivers on the road either. It has been my experience from crossing that border several times a year for the last 40 years that attitude and body language are things that customs agents look at closely. Treat them with respect and honesty and most times it is returned. Go up there with an attitude like you think they are derelicts and they're going to have a closer look.

Don't know about the Canada side but the US does pull every so many vehicles off to the side. They are also supposed to look in box of pickup or trunk of car, usually just a quick glance and they are done, (unless they see something they shouldn't). I go across several times a year with and without boat and usually dont' have an issue.

Been crossing annually for 13 straight years. There are 10 of us in four vehicles with boats and gear. One time shortly after 9/11 my vehicle was given a more thorough check by the US agents. What it amounted to was the gate agent asking us a series of questions, then we had to pull over and go inside for more. We were given a questionnaire to to fill out which basically asked the same questions in a different way and finally another officer asked us the same questions again in a slightly different way. After that we had to drive through some kind of scanner and we were on our way.

In 13 years of crossing that is the only time we have had to do anything more than answer about four or five questions at the gate. But then, none of us has a felony or misdemeanor record.

I've made several boarder crossings at International Falls. One year (2002) we crossed with our maximum allowable beer, liquor and tobacco. The Canadians had us pull over and spent an hour digging through everything. I packed for a five day trip and all my clothes, baits, etc. were spread out on the pavement. (On a side note - you get to re-pack all your gear and that is not fun). One of my friends had a 1/2 pint of Scotch in a bag that he forgot from a prior trip. It was found and they interrogated him for 45 minutes and finally let us go with a fine for not declaring the 1/2 pint. I wasn't mad at the Canadians, but mad at the friend for not remembering the Scotch.

Since that trip, everything has been smooth. Here are my tips.

1. Don't bring beer or liquor. After our one experience, we just decided to buy it in Canada. It costs more, but saves time at the border. I've never spent more than a minute at the crossing since buying alcohol in Canada.

2. When you have four guys in a pickup or SUV, roll down all the windows before you pull up to the checkpoint. Lets the border agent see everyone and tells them you have nothing to hide.

3. Have your passport ready. When they ask for it, be ready. Shows you are prepared. If you have nothing to hide and are prepared, it makes their job easier and builds some goodwill.

4. Don't give them any lip. I've crossed with a few guys that whine about having to answer questions and it ticks off the boarder agents.

5. Enter in a vehicle whose owner has no criminal history. They can scan plates and see if the owner has a criminal background.

On the USA side, I've never had a problem coming back. They've looked at DLs and passports and that's it.

You are so right. That's exactly what it is, a privilege. The government there sees drunken driving as a felony and they don't want felons entering their country. I don't blame them, I don't want felons entering our country either. I'm not trying to come off as "holier than thou" here, I was once a drunken fool too. I still drink and when I'm in the wilderness I sometimes drink too much and have a blast doing it. But I NEVER drink and get behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle. Just knowing I could not get back in Canada if I were caught changed that for me. Growing older and wiser helped a lot too.

I'd like to hear some more experiences from just this year. They have started the process of moving towards more leniency for those with a prior DUI and I wonder how the process is going.

We almost didn't make it over the border last year with a guy in our party with an 8yr old single DUI, and I'm wondering if we have a shot this year.

He was issued a temp resident permit for $200.

What happens this year???

A privilege - give me a break. They're lucky so many of us are dumb enough to give them our money and not spend it all in our own country or half of Canada might still be without electricity. Some gas stations are still waiting on coffee makers. Their border talk with non violent criminals has caused a lot of camps to shut their doors and bring a new focus to what we have to offer right here which is a lot which has been good for us too. Bring on the "oooooh Canada" crowd to light me on fire now. That being said I broke my 13 year promise that I'd never spend a penny there again. dam Canada and they're channel cats! :-)

I crossed in January and February with no problems at all. Then again, I've been going there 4-5 times a year for the last 10 years and have never had a problem with Canadian Customs. A handful of times we had to pull aside for a quick check of the truck, and run inside for them to scan our driver's licenses. Not ever more than a 10 or 15 minute delay.

The worst we ever had it was getting pulled over by U.S. Customs on our way to Canada, just before we got to the border. That was a 2 1/2 hour delay that included completely pulling every last item out of the truck and scattering it on the ground in -30 temps, waiting in a room while about 8 people on their computers kept looking up at us like criminals, and a not so friendly interrogation when an agent pulled me into a dark room away from the rest of our group making VERY severe threats as to what would happen to me when I didn't admit we were smuggling drugs out of the country, and stern warning me I was not to tell anyone what was talked about in the room. After the 2 1/2 hours we were released to spend another 1/2 hour freezing our tails off repacking all of our fishing gear. That was bad. But again, that was U.S. Customs, not Canada.

As others have mentioned, pull up to the booth with all windows open so they can see everyone, have passports ready, know what you are bringing in when it comes to bait, alcohol, tobacco, look them in the eyes and answer their questions, and don't crack jokes (although sometimes I like to see if I can get a smile out of them, but it very rarely works). If you do all this, and nobody has a criminal record, you will be good to go. Heck, one time on a grouse hunting trip up there my dad and I brought 3 guns across the border. Throughout the entire process, from the time we pulled up to the booth through the paperwork process for the guns, neither of us had a single form of I.D. checked. They never once glances at a D.L. or Passport, and I think my dog got two treats out of the deal from them. They have a job to do, and if you cooperate and let them do it, I don't think you should have much trouble.

Just made it back. I got held up for 30 minutes in Baudette because they were looking into an infraction from 11 years ago.

I told the officer that I have talked to his boss and that he said it wouldn't be a problem. The officer looked at me and said "I don't think I would call waiting 30 minutes while we check into something a problem, would you??"

No, but I'd call it a huge waste of time!!!

We went across with 5 1.75 litres and 9 cases, booze tab was $130.00 worth of duty. Still ALOT cheaper than buying in when were up there.

Golly, thanks... you've saved our country & allowed us to buy "coffee makers" crazy2.gif. Just so you know, about 80% of the hydro-electric power that we generate is sold directly to the States ... be sure to post pics when you light yourself on fire wink.

Golly, thanks... you've saved our country & allowed us to buy "coffee makers" crazy2.gif. Just so you know, about 80% of the hydro-electric power that we generate is sold directly to the States ... be sure to post pics when you light yourself on fire wink.

Glad you could see the humor in that.

Four of us just got back on June 9. No problems at all at the Fall/Fort Francis crossing. Not even a line to speak of. It probably helps that we have done it before and are squeaky clean. Records that is, not physically after a week in Quetico.

I've made several boarder crossings at International Falls. One year (2002) we crossed with our maximum allowable beer, liquor and tobacco. The Canadians had us pull over and spent an hour digging through everything. I packed for a five day trip and all my clothes, baits, etc. were spread out on the pavement. (On a side note - you get to re-pack all your gear and that is not fun). One of my friends had a 1/2 pint of Scotch in a bag that he forgot from a prior trip. It was found and they interrogated him for 45 minutes and finally let us go with a fine for not declaring the 1/2 pint. I wasn't mad at the Canadians, but mad at the friend for not remembering the Scotch.

Since that trip, everything has been smooth. Here are my tips.

1. Don't bring beer or liquor. After our one experience, we just decided to buy it in Canada. It costs more, but saves time at the border. I've never spent more than a minute at the crossing since buying alcohol in Canada.

2. When you have four guys in a pickup or SUV, roll down all the windows before you pull up to the checkpoint. Lets the border agent see everyone and tells them you have nothing to hide.

3. Have your passport ready. When they ask for it, be ready. Shows you are prepared. If you have nothing to hide and are prepared, it makes their job easier and builds some goodwill.

4. Don't give them any lip. I've crossed with a few guys that whine about having to answer questions and it ticks off the boarder agents.

5. Enter in a vehicle whose owner has no criminal history. They can scan plates and see if the owner has a criminal background.

On the USA side, I've never had a problem coming back. They've looked at DLs and passports and that's it.

I like most of the tips here but I really disagree with the first one. I Bring liquor every year crossing multiple times a year and have never had the slightest of issues or delays. Just be organized on what you have and how much and it is simply not an issue whatsoever

On another note, I noticed someone in this thread comment that if you are staying in the NW angle in Minnesota you can bring more alcohol and tobacco if you are simply passing through Canada...can anyone vouch for that being true?

I have had zero problems bringing alcohol into Canada. A stop at the duty free in part of the routine. In my years of going to the Canadian side of LOTW via Baudette/RR, the Canadian customs agents have been pleasant (especially over the past 10 years). The US side is more rigid, less friendly and more serious, which I guess is OK with me.

Because the MN DNR has been conducting searches and seizures at border crossings for a while now I was wondering where they get their authority to enforce Ontario's 4 fish possession limit since MN has a 6 fish possession limit? Does anyone have any information regarding that?