• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird nest

Sturg

My sister noticed a hummingbird a few times near a tree just off her deck. She looked closely and spotted the nest Memorial weekend.

full-6648-21221-600_nest_0777.jpg

full-6648-21222-600_eggs_0778.jpg

full-6648-21223-600b_0920.jpg

I'm hoping to get some pictures of the little ones. I can't imagine how they hatch with a long beak.

The baby hummers are here. I went over tonight and the mother was off the nest so I tried to be quick and get a photo. I wasn't anticipating all of the overhead leaves and it was diffcult getting a clear shot so I only have one. It is not quite in focus, but hopefully the next opportunity I'll be more prepared and Ill get better results. The chicks are tiny. Not much bigger than the end of my little finger. Their beak is short and yellow like the downy fuzz on their body.

full-6648-21517-600chicks_1904.jpg

I went this morning to try and get another photo. Mom wasn't on the nest but came and buzzed around it a few minutes after I arrived then left. I waited to see if I could get a pic of feeding but she didn't come back after several minutes. I got out the ladder and climbed up with the camera only to find the nest empty. I looked on the ground under the tree but no no babies. My sister said mom was on the nest most of the day yesterday. I'm guessing another bird possibly ate them?

Sorry to hear the sad news Sturg. Kinda the harsh reality we run across all too often here at the ranch. Could've been another bird, a cat, a raccoon, a possum, a squirrel, ya just don't know. Thank you for sharing them with us. Hopefully you get another chance with another nest.