• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Asian Meals

I love Asian foods. so let's get some of your favorite reciepe's on here. i'll start with one here:

Satay

this is one from Thailand

wood skewers

2 tbls curry powder

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup coconut milk

1 pound of sliced pork [on the thin side]

1 tsp sugar

soak the wood skewers at least half an hour so that the ends do not burn on the grill. slice the pork into thin strips [about 1/4 inch] that will fit onto the skewers. marinate the pork and curry powder, sugar, coconut milk and salt for the same amount of time that you soak the skewers [i do both at the same time]. i do massage the marinade into the meat for a while first.

thread the pork onto the skeweres. make sure you jam the slices fairly tight together. it makes for a more moist and tender piece of meat. i put the skewers with the meat over the coals [when gray] for a couple of minutes to sear them some. then put them in indirect heat until done. i usualy dab the meat in some peanut sauce. good luck.

Koran BBQ Beef

Indredients:

4 lb ball tip steak or for that matter any steak of your choosing

2/3 cup green onions , thinly sliced

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup dark roasted sesame oil

2 1/2 Tbl brown sugar packed

1 1/2 Tbl sesame seeds , toasted and crushed

1 small head of garlic crushed

2 Tbl of ginger , grated

1 Tbl groung red pepper

1/8 Tsp of fresh ground Szechuan pepper corns ( I use black pepper)

Cut Ball Tip steak/beef into 3/8 to 1/2 inch strips and take all of the above indgredients and put in a bowl or I like to use a 1 gallon ziplock and add meat and let it marinate for at least 6 hours and up to 24 ( I like 24 hours) and be sure to turn it or mix it it up occasionally.

Preheat gas grill to medium or have your charcoal ready to cook on. Remove ribs from marinate; reserve marinate.

Place strips on grill so that they don't fall through and top with marinate and cook for 5 to 6 minutes and flip and spoon on more marinate on all the strips.

I like to keep the beef strips tight together so the marinate is easier to apply.

The original recipe is designed for short ribs but then again I have changed enough of the recipe so it not the original.

Cook 2 to 3 cups of brown rice and tear some romaine lettuce leaves. Take a leaf and add some brown rice and

Korean BBQ Chicken

1/4 cup sesame seeds

1/4 cup corn oil

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup dark corn syrup

1 small onion minced

1 clove garlic, crushed

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1 chicken cut up

i double the reciepe as far as the marinade. after combining all the ingredients except the chicken i pour 3/4 cup back in a small bowl for extra basting sauce.

in a bowl stir together the first eight ingredients. put the chicken pieces in a backing dish and pour the marinade over the chicken and coat well or put the chicken in a zip plastic bag. i leave the chicken marinating at least 3 hours in the fridge. get the grill going and when the coals are right put over indirect heat and turn the chicken once in awhile while basting them with remaining sauce. good luck.

General Tso's Chicken Recipe

10 oz boneless skinless chicken meat [thigh or breast] cut into bite sized pieces

1/2 tbls shaoxing wine

pinch of salt

1/3 cup cornstarch

oil for deep frying

1 1/2 tbls oil

3 slices peeled ginger, finely minced

1 clove garlic minced

4 to 5 red chiles, rinsed and deseeded

2 stalks scallion, white part only, cut into 1 inch lengths

Sauce:

2 1/2 to 3 tbls chinese rice vinegar

2 1/2 tbls soy sauce

1/2 tbls dark soy sauce

1 tsp hoisin sauce

1/4 cup water

2 1/2 tbls sugar

1/2 tbls shaoxing wine

1 scant tbls corn starch

marinate the chicken meat with the shaoxing wine and salt for 15 minits. mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. set aside

coat the chicken generously with the 1/3 cup cornstarch. heat up the oil for deepfrying. deep fry the chicken until they turn light brown and done. dish out with a strainer, draining the excess oil by laying the chicken on a dish lined with paper towels.

heat up a wok with 1 1/2 tbls oil. add the minced ginger, garlic, and dried chilies into the wok. stir fry until you smell the spicy aroma of the chilies. pour the sauce into the wok. when the sauce boils and thickens, add the chicken, stir to combine well with the sauce. add the scalion and stir a few times, dish out and serve immediatly. [i would think over rice]. good luck.

I am not sure if we have tried this recipe but it was in my collection and sounded like a good recipe.

Sesame-Ginger Shrimp

Serves 4

Toast the sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Serve this dish with rice.

INGREDIENTS

1 pound extra-large shrimp (21 to 25 count), peeled and deveined

4 teaspoons soy sauce

2 cloves garlic , minced

1/2 inch piece fresh ginger , peeled and minced

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil, plus 1 additional teaspoon

1/2 cup water

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

1 tablespoon oyster sauce

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1 red bell pepper , seeded and cut into thin, 2-inch-long strips

5 scallions , white and light green parts, cut into 2-inch pieces

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

1. Toss shrimp and 2 teaspoons soy sauce in medium bowl. Combine garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon peanut oil in small bowl. Stir water, sesame oil, oyster sauce, remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce, and cornstarch together in measuring cup.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking. Add bell pepper and scallions and cook until browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Add remaining tablespoon peanut oil and shrimp to empty skillet and cook, tossing until just opaque, about 30 seconds. Push shrimp to sides of skillet, add garlic mixture to center of pan, and mash with spoon until fragrant, 10 to 15 seconds. Stir mixture into shrimp. Add water mixture and cook until thickened, 60 to 90 seconds. Return vegetables to pan, add lemon juice, and toss until heated through. Transfer to platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve.

Another recipe from the collection.

Peanut-Ginger Marinade

Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Cook Time: 20 Minutes

Yields: 8 servings

"Peanut butter, chili paste, garlic, and ginger create a flavorful Asian style marinade for grilled chicken. Great!"

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup hot water

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1/4 cup chile paste

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons white vinegar

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons grated freshginger root

1/4 teaspoon ground redpepper

3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, gradually stir hot water into peanut butter. Stir in chili paste, soy sauce, oil, vinegar, garlic, ginger and ground red pepper. Place chicken in marinade, and turn to coat evenly. Cover, and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.

2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil grate. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers. Discard marinade.

3. Grill chicken 8 to 10 minutes per side, or until no longer pink, and juices run clear.

KOREAN BBQ

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. chicken (boned breast and/or thighs) or beef short ribs (approximately 1/4 inch thick)

1/4 c. soy sauce (Aloha Shoyu works best but you can try another low salt brand)

1 tsp. sesame oil

1 tsp. fried sesame seeds

1 lg. clove garlic, minced

2 green onions

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1/8 tsp. fresh ginger, minced (chicken only)

1 tsp. honey

1/4 tsp. crushed chili pepper (or more if desired)

1 dash of MSG

Put shoyu into a large mixing bowl; add the garlic, ginger (if used), and green onion. Stir for 1 minute. Add the honey, black pepper, sesame oil, MSG, sesame seeds, and chili pepper. Add meat dipping in sauce to get even coating. Cover and marinate for 1 hour. Broil (charcoal broiling is best) and serve.

Boning chicken:

Boning breasts - Use a sharp knife and cut down the side of the breast bone to the rib cage. Then angle the knife to follow the contour of the ribs. Lastly, remove the wishbone.

Boning thighs - Use a sharp knife to cut down the center of the inside of the thigh. Then rotate the thigh bone and follow its contour with the knife.

Most Important!! - Score the chicken pieces with a sharp knife and cut in two before marinating.

Korean Spicy Pork Bulgogi

SERVES 4

Ingredients

• 1 lb pork loin (thin, wide slices like bulgogi)

• 5 tablespoons soy sauce

• 2 garlic cloves, crushed

• 2 sprigs green onions (chopped)

• 1 yellow onion (sliced)

• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

• 1 pinch black pepper

• 1 tablespoon sugar or honey

• 3 tablespoons red pepper paste (kochi-jang)

• 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes

Directions

Mix all ingredients, refrigerate overnight for best results or a minimum of 1 hour.

Cook over medium-high heat in frying pan, stirring occasionally until well done and browned.

Korean Seasoned Spinach Sigumchi Namul

* 1 pound spinach

* 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce

* 1 Tbsp sesame oil

* 1 Tbsp sesame seeds

* 1 tsp salt

* 2 cloves finely chopped garlic

* 2 tsp sugar

1. Blanch the spinach in boiling water for 30 seconds.

2. Remove spinach quickly and rinse in cold water.

3. Gently squeeze the spinach to remove excess water.

4. Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, seeds, salt, garlic, and sugar and mix into spinach.

YOON FAMILY KALBI

1 1/2 cups lite soy sauce

1/4 cup white sugar

1/4 cup sesame oil

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

8-10 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed

6 large green onions, chopped roughly

4 pounds Korean-style short ribs *

Toasted sesame seeds

Combine the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and corn oil in a large mixing bowl. Add garlic and green onion and stir together. Put short ribs into large sealable freezer bag (you may need two). Pour marinade into bag and turn bag over several times to ensure all meat pieces are covered. Refrigerate for at least four hours, but preferably overnight. Turn bag at least once in the middle of the marinating process.

Heat grill to medium-high heat before adding the meat. Drain excess marinade off short ribs and grill them until medium, about 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Serves 6.

* NOTE ON RIBS: Korean-style short ribs can be found at most Asian markets. The cut is called "flanken," a strange word that refers to a strip of beef cut across the bone from the chuck end of the short ribs. Most short rib recipes call for individual bones cut into thick pieces. Kalbi is unusual in that it calls for 3 ribs, cut lengthwise across the bones, so that you end up with a strip of meat about 8-10 inches long that has 3, 1/2-inch rib bones lining the top.

You can also use the marinade for a traditional cut of short ribs, but this is best cooked by braising -– a crock pot is excellent for this type of dish. (My mother calls this version Mushy Kalbi because the meat falls off the bone and melts in your mouth.) You can also use the marinade on chicken.

MORE TIPS

The grilling technique for kalbi is the exact opposite of grilling a big American steak. Kalbi is much more of a hands-on dish. Because of its thinner cut, the meat cooks faster and requires constant attention and turning over, which is why it is so much fun to cook it at the table with a group of friends.

Like most Korean meals, kalbi should be served with panchan, an assortment of side dishes that might include marinated spinach, cooked bean sprouts, salt-cured fish and of course the ubiquitous Korean side dish, kimchi, a spicy fermented cabbage or radish that people either love or hate.

Try kalbi once and you'll see what I mean about being hooked.

Barbecued Short Ribs (Kalbi Gui) with Suwon Rib Factory Secret Marina

Yield: 6

Ingredients:

----------------- MARINATED MEAT: ----------------

1/2 cup soy sauce

3/4 cup korean rice wine or mirin

3/4

1 cup pineapple juice

2 tbl sugar

2 tbl sesame salt

3 tbl chopped garlic

3/4 cup chopped scallions

3/4 cup minced onion

1 tbl finely grated fresh ginger

1 sm asian pear cut into 1-inch chun

3 tbl asian sesame oil

2 tsp coarsely ground korean red chile (gocho ka

2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

4 lb meaty flanken-style short ribs see note

----------------- ACCOMPANIMENTS: ----------------

1 head red-leaf lettuce separated into leave

sesame salt

4 lrg garlic cloves thinly sliced

scallion salad for barbecues see recipe

korean chili sauce see recipe

Method:

1. MARINATE THE MEAT: Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor and puree; transfer to a bowl. Add the ribs and let marinate at room temperature for at least 3 hours or refrigerate overnight.

2. Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Remove the ribs from the marinade and shake off any excess. Grill or broil the ribs until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Serve the short ribs with the accompaniments and let diners wrap their own meat.

NOTES: Kalbi is available pre-cut at Korean markets, both on and off the bone. Flanken-style, or L.A. cut, short ribs are sliced 1/2 inch thick across 3 ribs.

NOTES : The Korean town of Suwon, near Seoul, is a mecca for barbecued short ribs. The city even has a special rib factory with an excellent restaurant known for its secret marinade. After swearing that I wouldn't sell the marinade recipe to the competition, I got the management to share it with me.

WOW!!!!Huge thanks for those recipe's. i have tried some of those in the past and presently also. the thin cut's of short ribs can be found in Sam's, some cubs and rainbow stores also. i urge everyone to try the marinades Jim has posted. and for a nice addition to the meal the spinach recipe is tasty,good for you, and easy to make as well. Thanks again Jim. good luck.

Egg Roll Recipe

1 lb. ground pork

1 pack egg roll wrappers

1 tsp. ginger, minced

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

3 cups cooking oil [for deep frying]

1 tbls. cooking oil

1 raw egg, beaten

2 cups cabbage, shredded

3/4 cups carrots, shredded

2 tsp soy sauce

heat 1 tbls. of cooking oil in a pan. saute ginger and the ground pork. cook until the pork turns light brown. add garlic powder, stir, and cook for a minute. turn off heat and set aside. in a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. mix well and microwave for 5 minutes.

combine cooked pork and cabbage mixture. add soy sauce and mix. wrap the mixture using the egg roll wrappers. this is done by placing about a quarter cup if mix on the middle of the wrapper. fold the two corners and roll.brush some beaten egg mix on the last corner to seal the wrapper.

heat 3 cups of cooking oil in a wok or a deep pan. deep fry the egg rolls in medium heat until the color turns golden brown. remove from the fryer and let excess oil drip. transfer to a serving plate. serve with sweet and sour sauce.

there are many recipe's out there for egg rolls. this is a simple one but good. good luck.

here is the way Kimchi looks like while its in the water and salt solution. i let it stand in room temp for a day. this is cucumber kimchi which has a shorter shelf life so i only let it stand for about 4 hours. it has sliced cukes, shredded daikon radish, shredded carrots, jalapeno peppers, and green onions.full-35080-22525-img.jpg

after the four hours i drain the salted water and add chicken stock, Korean hot pepper, sugar, fish oil, minced garlic, and minced ginger and it looks like this. i then put it in the fridge in jars. good luck.

full-35080-22526-img_0001.jpg

What the Pho?!

This is my favorite noodle/soup dish by far!!!

Enjoy!

Ingredients

5 pounds beef knuckle, with meat

2 pounds beef oxtail

1 white (daikon) radish, sliced

2 onions, chopped

2 ounces whole star anise pods

1/2 cinnamon stick

2 whole cloves

1 teaspoon black peppercorns

1 slice fresh ginger root

1 tablespoon white sugar

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon fish sauce

1 1/2 pounds dried flat rice noodles

1/2 pound frozen beef sirloin

TOPPINGS:

sriracha hot pepper sauce

hoisin sauce

thinly sliced onion

chopped fresh cilantro

bean sprouts (mung beans)

sweet Thai basil

thinly sliced green onion

limes, quartered

Directions

Place the beef knuckle in a very large (9 quart or more) pot. Season with salt, and fill pot with 2 gallons of water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 2 hours.

Skim fat from the surface of the soup, and add the oxtail, radish and onions. Tie the anise pods, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns and ginger in a cheesecloth or place in a spice bag; add to the soup. Stir in sugar, salt and fish sauce. Simmer over medium-low heat for at least 4 more hours (the longer, the better). At the end of cooking, taste, and add salt as needed. Strain broth, and return to the pot to keep at a simmer. Discard spices and bones. Reserve meat from the beef knuckle for other uses if desired.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Soak the rice noodles in water for about 20 minutes, then cook in boiling water until soft, but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Slice the frozen beef paper thin. The meat must be thin enough to cook instantly.

Place some noodles into each bowl, and top with a few raw beef slices. Ladle boiling broth over the beef and noodles in the bowl. Serve with hoisin sauce and sriracha sauce on the side. Set onion, cilantro, bean sprouts, basil, green onions, and lime out at the table for individuals to add toppings to their liking.

when you say beef knuckle, i'm assuming you can use sliced beef shanks with the marrow or soup bones with meat. a good piece of chuck roast as well for the meat. that's some great recipe there. i like the spices and topings and the way it's made. good luck.

yes, you are correct. In reality, you can use any cut of beef you'd like because most "pho" out there is a beef broth-soup.

But everyone is different, so make it to your liking.

This is not my recipe. Just something I found online.

The wife and I make our "Pho" very similar to this.