• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smokin Pork

Just got done preping 10 pork shoulders (about 80 pounds) for a Graduation party on Saturday. Used Garlic Olive oil and Smokehouse maple seasoning and stacked them in a cooler and a few bags of ice on top to keep cool till tomorrow when they hit the smoker. Will smoke them for 8-10 hours tomorrow or untill done and then wrap them in foil and place in cooler with blanket so they stay hot till Saturday AM.full-27870-21182-001.jpg

Lookin good - can't wait to see the final pile of delicious meat on your updates. Pretty neat thing for you to do for your grandson. He'll always remember that giant pile of goodness his grandpa made for him for his graduation.

I plan on doing some next week for my sons graduation. How many people are you planning on? I was thinking of creating a Porketta rub letting them sit overnight and smoke them on Friday. Are you going to put them in a roster to keep the pulled pork warm?

They said about 100-150 people so I figured about 1/3 pound per person. At that I was going to do 8 of these wich was about 60-65 pounds and after removeing bone and shrinkage would have roughly 50 pounds of cooked meat. But I happened to stop by Costco again and decided to pick up a couple more and throw them in just to make sure I have enough. I am hopeing to have leftovers as this freezes really well and works great on fishing trips.

I plan on keeping them hot/warm in a cooler over night then pulling them the next day and warming the meat in a big slow cooker/roaster.

The Porketta sounds interesting but Im not sure how that would be if you use fennel in yours. Not sure how that would taste smoked. I buy my porketas up north that are made different than they are down here in the cities.

Having been through this last year with one of my sons, I'm going to guess you had a ton of leftovers. I don't know anyone who went through even 6 shoulders. I'd be curious to hear how much extra you had.

The pork looks great!!!