• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need opinions on rear mounted trolling motor

zanzibarro

Question

I am looking to purchase an electric troller for the back of my boat. Looking to troll more and with my 70 4 stroke it's difficult to keep the speed below 2.0 at times.

Any good tips on what to purchase? I would prefer not to buy a kicker engine as I want it quiet as possible when trolling 10 and below depth. Boat is 16.5 feet.

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Have you considered a bow mount trolling motor? They will troll your boat so much nicer than a rear transom mount. You will get more speed and boat control from a bow than transom. 2c

I would go no less than 50# thrust in either case.

I have a 16' boat, a 55# bow mount and a 50# transom mount. Transom only gets used when vertical fishing, bow mount is trolling less than 1.8mph, otherwise its the outboard.

BTW, newer kicker motors are super quiet, but very expensive. Bow mount would be the way to go. If you do go transom, minnkota endura would be a economic way to go.

Thanks. I do have a 50 thrust on the bow which I use 95% time for lindy rig, jigging, casting to shore, etc.

What would you deploy though if you wanted to troll rapalas in shallow water, for example? Would you still run the bow mount motor if you wanted to keep it at or under 2.0?

Bow mount, just raise it up so your not running it into the ground. That way i can control my direction and it's quiet too.

No advantage in using a transom in shallow water IMO.

Another option is to run a planer board so your bait is away from the noise of the boat. Yet another option is to try to long line so your bait is a ways behind the boat but in 2' that might not be possible.

I have a transom and bow on my 16' lund angler II...I love bow mount motors and have a 74 thrust on the front and use this 90% of the time. Occasionaly I will go to the transom mount for convienence or to slowly putz backtrolling...I reversed the head on my Endura 55lb. thrust transom mount motor so I have 5 speads for reversing and 3 speads to go forward since I only use it to backtroll.