• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcasters ? I dunno

Hookey

Each lure is different..start with a loose adjustment and lure at the rod tip, press the line release so the lure will start un-spooling the reel on it's own...tighten the brake until it just barely un-spools. Done.

This will take care of most backlashes caused by your brake being too loose...you need to adjust it for each lure.

+1

As others have said, baitcasters are pretty awesome when you figure them out. I was frustrated by them for the longest time, but I realized I was either 1) casting too light of lures, 2) throwing light lures into the wind, or 3) not using my thumb on the spool properly. If you can figure them out, you'll grow to like them.

Why do so many people have issues with "line twist" on spinning reels? I don't even know what this is.

Reeling a spinning reel while the drag is working will twist the line. I watch my friends do it all the time and am thankful it's not my rod.

Reeling a baitcaster while the drag is working will not twist the line.

For that reason, I mainly use bait casters when looking for bigger fish, pike or musky.

Line twist occurs when the line rotates around its axis.

This results in "wind knots" when casting, tangles that range from small to giant. Imagine taking a 10 foot length of rubber band material, twisting it, and then giving it some slack.

Line twist is generated by a number of things:

1) lures that rotate around their axis during the cast

2) lures that rotate around their axis during the retrieve

3) reeling against the drag on a spinning reel

4) putting line on a spinning reel incorrectly (perpendicular to how the line is laid on the spool rather than parallel to it)

5) the natural action of the retrieve of a spinning reel over time, happens the worst with non-perfectly-round lines, and poor quality reels

6) Not replacing your line with new line often enough for line twists to stay negligible

The only way to get rid of line twist reliably is to cut the line above any twisted sections. Running the line completely out behind the boat can alleviate some issues, but doing so with a spinning reel and then retrieving your line will generate similar amounts of line twist

I'm pretty sure most of my line twist issues occur from issue #1 above. Plenty of my lures rotate terribly during long casts. Over time as this twist makes its way further up the line rather than just at the end, it creates issues. Since I'm plenty guilty of #6 as well (I think the last time I replaced line on some of my reels I use regularly may have been 3 years ago). I hate replacing line on spinning reels because it is a pain that I usually let shops do for me. I can replace line on my baitcasters easily enough.

When it comes to baitcasters, I usually only run about 75 yards of main line braid, and I replace my line much more often than I do spinning reels. Because of the ease of replacing line, and my own procrastination issues with replacing line on spinning reels, I keep my baitcasters in better working order. I still get line twist on my baitcasters, but it tends to be negligible by changing out my line.

For those who run into line twist with issue #3 (particularly with loaning your rods to your kids or someone not experienced with fishing), put on some heavier line and crank the drag down to match. In general, even 36'' pike will have difficulty pulling drag on properly tightened 30lb braid beyond their first two or three 10 foot runs.

While I don't run into issues with line twist regularly, it seems to happen about once a season on one of my spinning reels where I'm cursing at my line, cut off 30-40 yards, and switch reels for the day. I guess the good thing about it is that it tends to encourage me to get new line on that reel.

tl;dr: line twist sucks, baitcasters are easier to put new line on

I also don't like bait casters. How can they be more accurate? I can throw a lure within a foot of where I intend. Why do so many people have issues with "line twist" on spinning reels? I don't even know what this is.
Yeah, I use my index finger to slow/stop the cast with a spinning reel. I can nail a spot, or stop with ease. Same way with a 'caster only I use my thumb.

My other is a Shimano Curado and was not cheap, I expected more out of it and now use it only for trolling.

I would love to learn how light of a lure you can use with it as well as how to cast it w/o backlashes.

If it performed half as well as the Mitchell I would try harder to use it. As it stands I can barely cast a number 7 shad rap w/o a backlash.

Those Curados are absolute garbage, tell you what I'll take it off your hands and properly dispose of it for you. whistle

Thinking about it !

Actually I have been playing around with it in the yard some.

Tied on about 1/4 oz lindy sinker and can only cast it to the end of the driveway. About three car lengths. Thats casting from the elbow and overhand whipping it hard as possible.

Tried with the magnets all in towards center spool and all out. Both ways I tried with the tension extremely loose so the spool would overrun when it hit the ground. So I dunno maybe there is something wrong with it

Would be fun to have someone who knows what they are doing try it and see what they think, maybe it needs service as it only casts real heavy lures. That does not mean I am ruling out the operator yet.

I will find someone to give it a try or take it in to a local shop.

thats odd if it doesn't cast when you have it set to basically free spool. reels can come out of the factory with something wrong. I had a daiwa that was brand new that was junk out of the box and I had no idea why. Tons of reels are made theres bound to be a lemon. Do you have a receipt to maybe exchange it? If not I'm sure an experienced reel service person could troubleshoot it and repair for cheaper than the cost of replacement. Good luck.

What type of line and weight do have on your reel? and how long has it been on there? Have you tried pulling out some line (try twice the length you think you should be able to cast) get it wet and reel it in. Then try casting normally again. See if your distance improves.

I wouldnt even attempt to use a bait caster at all unless the weight of the lure is 1/4 ounce or heavier w/8lb-12lb test line.

2nd you have to have a very open space to cast bait casters, not good in tight fishing spots unless your using it for vertical jigging. Poor weather conditions make it worse for casting. Plus they leave very little room for finesse.

90% of the time when I fish its medium fast to lite tackle. So a bringing my bait caster just gets in the way unless im targeting heavy cover or bigger fish such as cats, roughies, or pike/muskies. Oh and of course big black bass & smallies.

with practice you can throw lighter than 1/4 oz lures and they are great at fishing in tight spots. I regulary throw weightless senkos that maybe weigh 3/16 oz. Also once you master pitching and flipping tight quarters is where its at. even just making a quick flick of the wrist cast can be done in tight quarters and you can keep your bait very low to the water to get under trees and docks. There are many things baitcasters are good at besides big species fishing.

I was never a fan till this year when I got into a mixed bag league. You'll find out fast it hurts to throw anything larger than about 3/8 ounce repeatedly with an open face reel. I've gotten to where I enjoy the baitcasters and don't get any more backlashes than most of the guys that have been using them for years and this will be only my third week (once a week tourney and a couple prefish days). I'm tossing a 1/8 ounce jig and a 4 in tail Way farther now with the baitcaster than I ever could with the spinning reel.