• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcasters ? I dunno

Hookey

Go ahead and flame but I just don't get bait casters.

Who wants to deal with backlashes and trying to adjust magnets etc in effort to reduce them.

Give me a spinning reel any day, cast what ever sized lure you wish. When it hits the water the line stops feeding. No problem.

I know they are supposed to be more accurate for casting if you dont get a birds nest but I have yet to find one that works for anything lighter than 3/4 oz. ( unless you are trolling with it ).

I have my baitcaster spooled with 8 pound line, so light line is a mute point. it just takes practice, you will find that a baitcaster is much better for casting than a spinning reel its very accurate when casting into tight spots, and much faster on a retrieve when the lure hits the water. I have both spinning and baitcasting with me while on the water, and use both, the baitcaster is just faster.

I have found with my self when I use a baitcaster it needs to have braided line on it. I can not get the feel down with mono and get bird nests when I tried the mono. all my bait caster have 40lbs(10lb mono eqiv) braid or 80lbs braid (18lbs mono eqiv). the 40lbs is on my bass and channel cat set ups and the 80lbs is on my flathead set up.

It takes practice, and also some experience to know where to set the brake on the reel to avoid backlashes. I like baitcasters because the retrieve is sooooo much smoother than the spinning reels...much less line twist.

Each kind of reel has their place, and their use.

For example, I use a low-profile baitcaster for my walleye rigging setup. If you want to let out some line, it is so much easier (and a one-handed operation) to just press the release button, let out some line, and release. And like I said, a much smoother retrieve.

It just takes practice I can go out and make hundreds of casts in a day and not backlash once.

Their are people who used closed faced reels because of the tangles and problems that come with spinning gear.

Best part about fishing is you can do it however you want.

Not sure what models your using but Ive noticed that on the lower end reels i would get a ton of backlashes but when I go to the 100+ reels I dont have many issues.

I run Abu Garcia 6501 c3's and 7001I ($90.00 plus) and the cheapest I use is the Abu Garcia Black Maxs ($50.00 each).

It depends on the reel you have. Nicer reels will hardly ever backlash, and even when they do you usually don't have to do much to straighten them out. I don't throw anything less than 1/4 ounce with them though, much easier to just pick up a spinning rod for that. With more practice and loosening up the controls I definitely get more distance with the same bait out of a baitcaster. And when it comes to putting a lure just inches from a tree branch, you'll really want the baitcaster so you can stop the lure just where you want it. I really don't even fiddle with the brakes or clutch when I change lures: just use more or less thumb. A key to remember though is unlike spinning rods: you really don't want to try throw the lure over the moon. Cast with about 90% effort and smooth it out. You'll get plenty of distance, but far fewer backlashes.

Everything has it's place that it excels at, and they all take some practice to to get comfortable with and make the best of each tools advantages. Baitcasters, for me anyways, took a little longer to make the best of its advantages and unlike spinning reels, quality really makes a big difference. A cheap, poor quality baitcaster will challenge you much more than a quality reel. Like most of us when trying something new, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that I wasn't sure that I would like or not. But taking the advice of posters here, I waited till I found at least a mid-grade reel on sale. With some frustration and a lot of practice I've come to really like them. I've tried some friends higher quality reels and can't wait to upgrade, and also used some cheep ones, which will make you see red fast and question why anyone would ever attempt this style of fishing.

I use a Shimano Curado and its the nicest baitcaster I have ever used and I also own 2 Quantum Accurists. I too always run braid. I must have casted 300 times yesterday with no issues. I also own 9 spinning reels and use them too.

I have two Baitcasters. One is a Mitchell C3, no problems with this one as I am throwing heavy Muskie lures. It is a joy to fish with.

My other is a Shimano Curado and was not cheap, I expected more out of it and now use it only for trolling.

I would love to learn how light of a lure you can use with it as well as how to cast it w/o backlashes.

If it performed half as well as the Mitchell I would try harder to use it. As it stands I can barely cast a number 7 shad rap w/o a backlash.

Maybe I will practice more with the Curado at home and see if I can figure it out. Can anyone suggest a lure size and how to set the internal magnets ?

It just seems like Baitcasters only work with lures weighing 3/4 oz or more. Prolly just me.

You gotta adjust the reel to not freespool quite as much and learn to use your thumb to compensate for overrun, especially at the end of your cast....Start out with heavier lures and then downsize lures slowly and you should get the hang of it......Your brake settings are 0 to six brakes..Start out with 4 or 5 brakes on , then after you get the hang of it 3 brakes on, then 2 brakes, and 1 brake....Soon you'll be using no brakes on and thumbing only.....Find someone to demonstrate for you, and it will make more sense......Quit snibbling and have at it, you will be glad you did.

double edged sword for me, baitcaster casting is slightly tricker but much easier/nicer to reel in while spinning reel is easier to cast (though harder to control) but reeling in line always seems to get tied around handle or bale wire somehow

Baitcasters definately take some patience thats for sure. You really have to play with the adjuster with each lure you put on. Like I said before the Curado is the nicest one I have used. I like the feature that it opens up to adjust along with the knob.

Bait casters are like any tool, if you take the time to learn how do use them they will make your life easier. Like any tool they have their place, if you are throwing heavy lures for Musky and Northern they can't be beat, Working a spinner baits down a shoreline where pin point accuracy and speed retrieving through dead water is a time saver I give the bait caster the nod. Fishing the slop and when you hook up you need some power to muscle a fish to the top and across, once again I would pick the bait caster. However that does not mean the spinning reel lays at the bottom of the boat. I prefer the spinning rod when working a lot of different top water baits, I absolutely use a spinning reel when worming and for skipping plastic up under docks and boat lifts. Can you use a spinning rod to do everything a bait caster does, Yes, but you can also drive a nail with a tac hammer, right tool, right time, right job.

Each lure is different..start with a loose adjustment and lure at the rod tip, press the line release so the lure will start un-spooling the reel on it's own...tighten the brake until it just barely un-spools. Done.

This will take care of most backlashes caused by your brake being too loose...you need to adjust it for each lure.

I use baitcaster exclusivly for muskies and about half and half for walleye and bass, all my baitcasters are set brake free and little to no spool tension, I use my thumb....Given a choice 9 times out of 10 I'll pick up a baitcaster over a spinning reel for any crankbaits or jigs over 1/2oz

If it performed half as well as the Mitchell I would try harder to use it. As it stands I can barely cast a number 7 shad rap w/o a backlash.

Maybe I will practice more with the Curado at home and see if I can figure it out. Can anyone suggest a lure size and how to set the internal magnets ?

That's your problem Shad rap 7s are light, awkward lures for someone who doesnt have much experience with baitcasters.

I would recommend a 3/8 oz lindy style weight pushed into a tube bait. run the into the tip of the tube and tie to the weight so its hidden inside, no hooks...

Open your side plate and start with 3 knobs clicked up and 3 down, alternating each one. Now reel the lure all the way to the rod tip, tighten the small round cast control knob of the reel handle side. Now hit the free spool and loosen the same knob until the lure begins to fall slowly. Play with this until the lure hits the ground without the spool spinning and over running. I personally like it a lot looser but for a beginner this is a good starting setting.

When you start casting just try to get it to go in front of you, not super far, just do it without backlashing. When you start getting good go for distance, start aiming at things, or try lighter weights in your casting plug. By the end of the season you should be a competent baitcast user.

I use a spinning rig to pitch light or small floating crank baits. Any cranks that are medium to deep diving or weighted I use my baitcaster. Spoons and spin baits I also use the baitcasters. I have a pair of matching Curado's spooled with 8# and 12# mono. They operate backlash free, but I have to throw them correctly. That means I have to set up the tension on the spool correctly and maintain a minimum of thumb pressure so I can stop the spool if I make an inaccurate cast. I love the low profile reels because I can cup them on the retrieve and control lure return speed and direction much better than with spinning outfits.

Practice practice practice. Go in your yard and cast at different targets. Stand on something to mimic being in your boat. Once you get that curado down and know how to quickly change the setting you'll use it for more things. I personally never fiddle with magnets just the spool tension on the handle side. I do get some massive birds nest from time to time. Usually casting deep diving crankbaits into the wind. it happens and you roll with the punches. I've had to re spool on the water because of backlash. But it very rarely happens. Once you get used to it you'll enjoy them. Take your time.