• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog in the boat?

Pherris

I enjoy my dogs in the boat and they behave well, but for what its worth I enjoy the time in the field with them even more. Its part of our weekly/daily routine to work in the field, plant birds and then hunt hard come fall.

For me the risk out weighs the reward. Its just too much for me to risk if one or both of my dogs were to go down with an injury. I would just rather play it safe than sorry because I would be devastated (and so would the dog) if I had to leave a dog behind when it comes time to chase birds.

My chocolate lab now almost 4yrs old hears the word boat and shes in it before we leave the drive way and ready for fishing ,hunting or what ever the boat is involeved in.

She has been in my my since she was a 4 month old pup and that was a 16 vee hull with a beavertail on it and on the opeing morning of youth water fowl season.

She slept thru all the sooting the boys did that morning.

Three weeks later shes was on board on a big water in my 18 ft flatbottom for divers in Nodak set up the dog pillow and she watched us mostly and when we retrived the ducks she woke up and strted to learn what a duck was.

The sooner you get them in the boat the more comfortable they are with it. and soon it won't matter if its a big or small boat they will end up loving it.

I used to have a Chessy that would jump out of the boat when were headed back to the landing she loved to swim and he colder the water the more she liked it.

One time in my small jon boat she jumped out and it was pretty windy and my buddy said hey we better get the dog in the boat I said calmly Na she has done this everytime I head back to the landing and this time was no different.

That dog swam almost a 1/4 mile right behind us the whole time. I would stop and see if she wanted in and she just swam by us going towards the landing.

I miss that dog

Lucy is 11 months now and twice in the boat. it's in the driveway of course now but when i go to the boat to mess with it she jumps up to go inside. sure she's a chocolate lab and seems to made for hunting. but my days of bird hunting are few with more fall fishing involved. she's going to be my fishing partner till she cant go anymore. even then i will help her along if possible. just like i hope someone helps me get in a boat or to my hunting spot when i get older. good luck.

My Black lab Anna is usually my fishing partner.

She has only been out in the boat a couple times this year though.

Most of the time she curls up on the floor and goes to sleep.

Most of the time I do not even know she is with me.

She is a great boat dog.

Of course right after I write that paragraph the pooch decides this weekend was the weekend she was going to see what a musky lure tastes like. Some quick action to immobilize and some hook cutters kept the issue minor. 2 minutes later I don't think she knew anything had happened.

Figures I would write something like that then something would happen! Oh well, everyone still had a good time.