• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog in the boat?

Pherris

My dog will be getting back from training in a few weeks. Part of her training will cover being in a boat but it will mainly only cover small boats at slow speeds duck hunting type boat but I am not a not a duck hunter. I am confident she will have the basics of being in a boat I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or input on taking her with me on fishing trips and getting her acclimated to a bigger boat that goes much faster then the duck boat. As I was running across Mile Lacs the other day it was a bit bouncy and we were moving 60+mph I wondered if making my dog my fishing partner on big water trips was really a good idea and how she would do in that situation? There would be plenty of room for here in the cockpit area of the boat to lay but not sure how she would handle all the bouncing around? Anybody have any experience or ideas? My boat is a bass boat FWIW. Thanks

Good Hunting!!

I have a small cocker and took her with fishing for a few hours the first time and she loved the time in the boat. She was up on the edge of the boat looking around all the time. When we would go fairly fast, she would lay on the front deck or sit by the bottom of my seat.

To say the least, she loves the boat and her time in it.

today will be the second time in the boat for my 10 months old pup. like Harvey said my pup liked it also. chasing flys and looking over the side. haven't gone fast yet. got to watch her because she's loving the water and dont want her to jump over the side if possible. she weighs close to 70 pounds dry and is a chocolate Lab. good luck.

Had a customer come in one day with his hand all bandaged up,,, asked him

what happened? He told me he was going across the lake in his boat with

his 2 Springers in the front, which he'd been doing for years, when for

no reason one jumped into the water. He turned around to pickup the dog

and she grabbed his hand in her mouth and bit the heck out of it. He

just swung her into the boat and found she had hit the prop and cut off

a hind leg. So at the end of the day he had a three legged dog and dozens

of stitches in his hand, plus hundreds of dollars in doctor and vet bills.

Long story short,,, I don't take the dog in the boat.

I think my Golden and my Lab like fishing as much if not more than hunting. When I'm getting ready at the cabin they generally run down to the dock and wait. I have a boat that zips around 55 and they seem to just hunker down and take any abuse going over waves and when we stop they are fine. I also have a pontoon...I think they prefer the pontoon though.

I guess the first time out you could make sure it's 100% positive for the pup, bring a few treats for when you get into the boat. Let it roam where it wants when you aren't moving, give it lots of praise and attention. Most importantly let it lick a few fish.

Fishing for dogs is like letting them hang their head out the window in the vehicle, just a bigger window! Just don't let them fall out when you're moving, keep the dog with you or on a leash when you are on the go until it is experienced.

took my lab with she loves riding in the boat.

went trolling, cast in and she thought she need to retrieve it.

after some training we both love it.

only thing I done like is she likes standing over the front

I think she is going over the front

My 14 month old Black lab comes with me on all trips in the boat. Even after having him swallow a hook when Cat fishing at 10 weeks old. He became $1300.00 more valuable to me that night. Lol

He goes in the sleeper in the winter and boat in the summer. He is disciplined well and that helps a lot. I do use an E-collar for insurance when out on the boat but rarely need to use it anymore. Maybe the buzzer part once in a while.

He loves getting out. When I am loading the boat he gets pumped and will jump up into the boat while still on the trailer. A good 4' jump from standing still and over the rim of the boat without touching anything until he is inside.

As mentioned before, let them lick some fish. My lab enjoys doing that too. If you can, take them to the bank for a good swim. Wears them out and they sleep while your fishing or what not. A good swim,some chow and Boyd is down for a good long nap. We love our time in the boat indeed.

Of course not all dogs are alike but I will say for my lab it came easy with him. At this point I don't believe he has any interest in jumping out of the boat when going my top speed of 27 mph. Lol, Not a rocket boat but bad things could still happen indeed.

Good luck and for sure bring them along when and IF you can.

reinhard 1, your post are always much appreciated. Glad to read you are enjoying your new pup. I feel confident in saying you two will have many good times together and both deserve it. Take care.

Lucy seemed to have a good time yesterday. i bring along extral ice cubes {they help for transporting fish back home] for her since she love to crunch on them. i'm always looking for hooks or where i put my rods. so far she hasn't tried to jump out of the boat. earlier this year we went to a lake with her on a leach and she was looking at the sunnies on the side of the dock and suddenly jumped in. she went all the way under and it seemed to startle her and i let her swim back to shore. she came back with me on the dock but no longer wanting to jump off. but that was her first experience with water so things will change i think. good luck.

I am also of the no dog in the boat crowd. Had too many friends who have had incidents in the boat fishing with their dog. Most were spendy incidents... I came close one of the few times I took mine with... hook in the foot when I was taking a fish off. Luckily it came out and only left a puncture in the web... If it wasn't for my buddy holding her still it could have gotten worse...

I have no problems during duck hunting, but it is a slower boat, no hooks and generally never battling boredome. My dogs are well disciplined, but I just don't like having an opportunity for disaster when there is reeally no reason to expose them to that opportunity in the first place...

To each their own, but in the end if your dog gets hurt, where does the 'my dog loves it' part comes into play? I had one friend whose dog always went with him and was never a problem, then again it never moved. Stayed in the same spot on the boat all day. At what point was that more enjoyable than laying on the floor at home? He said he liked the company... but yet he could have thrown a giant stuffed animal in the boat and got the same 'company'...

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree, I leave my dog at home when I'm fishing. I'm sure he'd love going fishing with me but thats just because he likes to go anywhere that I go. He also loves going to the vet just because he gets to go with me. He'll literally follow me through the gates of hell with his tail wagging as long as he's going with me.

On a boat there is just too much to keep an eye on with a dog and even a well trained dog can do goofy things that could easily lead to a very painful experience.

I agree bad things can and have happened. I bring my lab as that is one of the reasons I wanted him. I am not a bird hunter so our time fishing is the only time he gets in a boat.

I also use him for shed hunting and worry more about what he will get out there in the woods than I do in our boat. Lyme,traps,and other not so friendly animals.

As stated to each there own. One thing I will say is I no longer leave poles in the boat that have tackle (hooks) on them. If I am using the pole then it gets tackle on it. If I am not then all hooks are either in the box or at the tip of my pole in the pole holder out of the way.

Picked up that plan after the swallowed cat fishing hook. Sorry but my pooch would have my hide if he knew I ws leaving him home on fishing trips. Lol

I brought my dog out on my bassboat for the first time a few weeks back. Everything went fine but I did learn a few things.

1. Just because the boat goes 60mph doesnt mean you have to go 60mph when the dog is in the boat. I was cruising around 28mph, the dog was happy and I saved some gas.

2. Bring a water dish and/or ice cubes. Ive got a boxer and she overheats easily so I had to be aware of that. I even took a break for her to walk around in the water to cool down.

3. Don't leave rods laying on the front deck, dogs dont understand that stepping on the rods and lures can have a bad ending.

4. Let them lick the fish grin

babefish.jpg

Great input. Yea I don’t have to do 60 and don’t think I ever would with here in the boat unless there was an emergency situation of some type. I have started to get in the habit of putting my rods in the rod compartment for the very reason of expecting to have her in the boat often. Like others posted one of the reasons I got her was to have her in the boat and the companionship. Just don’t think a stuffed dog would do it for me. LOL I respect the opinions of those that are of the "no dog in the boat" and they do provide very valid reasons but in the end it comes down to personal choice. Kinda like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. Great photo by the way.

Again thanks for the thoughtful responses. They are ALL appreciated.

Good Hinting and Fishing!!

I almost forgot my funny story from last summer. I was out with a buddy and we were up at his parents cabin and borrowed his dads boat for the day. It was the two of us and his dog and for some reason the dog loves to sit on the back platform when cruising the lake. It seemed like a bad idea to me but my friend saw nothing wrong with it even after i mentioned it being a bad idea. So off we went back to the cabin from the far end of the lake with the dog sitting on the back platform by the engine. I'm sitting shotgun and just looking forward at somepoint i look back and notice we are now short one golden retriever in the boat.

My buddy who ignored my advice that it was a bad idea for the dog to sit there apparently gunned it a little too hard and tossed the dog right off the back of the boat. We made a quick uturn to find the dog slowly and steadily swimming for home. Luckily she missed the prop and was uninjured but it had to have been a close call.

I just looked at him and asked if he still thought there was no issue with the dog sitting back there. Just goes to show you need to think ahead a little if you want to bring your dog in the boat.

This is Remy this weekend while I was fishing solo for walleyes. These pesky loons obviously are pretty gutsy popping up that close to a blood-thirsty wirehair. They're just lucky I trained him so well... wink

Seriously, though, Remy comes with me every time I fish. He listens well, and learned quickly not to mess with fishing rods or hooks. In fact, he doesn't even really care about the fish. He gets excited every time someone reels up a line, and likes to see the fish come up, but stick one in his face and he kind of just looks at it.

Aside from my wife (who outfishes me on a regular basis) Remy is my best fishing partner...I just wish he'd spring for the beer once and awhile mad

IMG_20120603_124749.jpg

I musky fish, have a bass boat, go 50 and have an energetic Brittany in the boat and haven't had any issues. I take her all the time, have since she was 4 months old. Maybe that's why it works. First thing I did when I got the dog was clean the boat up and learned to keep it that way while fishing. Leaving hooks or lures laying everywhere is a recipe for problems. Second thing I did was taught the pup the kennel command in the boat. In my boat it means go under the drivers console by my feet. That's where she stays while running. I've had her out in big stuff skipping waves and she does fine. If you use a hot foot use the passenger side console. Last thing is make sure you have a good pair of hook cutters, some sanitizing wipes and a first aid kit. Bought them for the dog and have used them twice on myself. Figures. Not taking dogs fishing because your afraid of them getting hurt to me is like not letting your kids play sports because they might get hurt. Bet if you asked they would gladly take the risk!

Tyler - your pic looks like it could come from the lake my cabin is on with the long island out there. Is it by chance by Northome?

I fish with my dog also. I had a small hook incident early on and that was a good learning tool for both of us. I have an 18' tiller and the front part is his. He switches side to side to stay napping in the sun. It's funny coming up on a deadhead (not the music type) or navi bouy - he just can't figure out what the heck they are.

Tyler - your pic looks like it could come from the lake my cabin is on with the long island out there. Is it by chance by Northome?

I had to look up where Northome was. Nope, not by Northome.

The lake is in the Ottertail/Detroit Lakes region.

Not taking dogs fishing because your afraid of them getting hurt to me is like not letting your kids play sports because they might get hurt. Bet if you asked they would gladly take the risk!

Except people (incl. kids) have the power and ability to reason and to think forward in terms of avoiding or mitigating a potentially serious incident... dogs don't have that ability. Dog's just react. If you aren't Johnny on the spot to stop what is occurring it can continue to compound until 'you' stop what is happening.

As I said to each their own. If it works for you, by all means continue... I have no problem with you doing it, just as you should have no problem with those who choose not to take them. We are giving our insight and opinion 'not to take them' as a counter to those who choose to. Makes those who are in the decision process more informed and gives them information to think about pros vs. con. I myself personally gained no satisfaction having my dog with while fishing. Not that I don't enjoy my dog, but having them in the boat while I was fishing did nothing for me on a personal level... I'd rather share that time with someone to interact with ie: my son or a good friend. If I want alone time, I go fishing by myself. The dogs can chase bumpers when I get home.

Good Luck!

Ken

Except people (incl. kids) have the power and ability to reason and to think forward in terms of avoiding or mitigating a potentially serious incident... dogs don't have that ability. Dog's just react.

Maybe labs don't... wink

Just kiddin around. I don't care if people leave the dogs at home, but I don't think it's as much of an issue to have them in the boat as a lot of people make it seem like. Just takes a bit of training and planning, just like anything else with dogs. Accidents are going to happen, but they'll happen less if you're prepared.