• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kicker motor help

eyebjim

Question

I am looking to get a kicker for my crestliner fishhawk 1750. Can anyone tell me if I need to get a long shaft or will a short work. What issues will I have if I get a short shaft.

Oh and how small is too small for HP. I fish mille lacs mainly so I need it to work in harsh conditions.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

I have a Crestliner Raptor, similar to the Fish Hawk. My boat has a 25" transom and when I ordered my boat with a 9.9 kicker it came with a exlpt shaft.

Not sure if that was because of the transom height but that would be my guess.

As far as HP 9.9 seems to be the standard on boats that size. My boat is almost 18' long and the 9.9 has more than enough to move the boat. I have the Pro Kicker which is geared a little different than a standard 9.9. They also have a 15HP Pro Kicker that is about 300.00 more than the 9.9. If conditions are bad enough my 9.9 can't keep up I can always use the main motor or it might be time to head in. eek

Mike

i would go with a long (20") shaft. i have a 9.9 on my alumacraft 18 ft and it trolls down below 1.5 mph and will do over 6 mph.

if you had the short shaft it might come out of the water in waves. too long and it will drag when youre on plane.

fmmike says his is exlpt i think that is xl 25". measure your transom from the top of the boat to the bottom in the spot that you want to mount it and that should tell you if you need 20 or 25". most boats are fine with a 20.

I thought I'd need a long shaft when I got my new boat last year but my dealer said a short shaft was the way to go and it works just fine. I'd call my dealer. We all have opinions, but talking to the real experts at your dealer would be my first move.