• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling rod and reel?

I've been looking at rods and reels for trolling and haven't made any progress on what would work for me with price and quality. I'm looking for a quality reel without spending a dump ton for a line counter or if I even need a line counter reel.

The other thing is what kind of rod should I get for trolling(brand/stiffness/length)?

I've been looking at rods and reels for trolling and haven't made any progress on what would work for me with price and quality. I'm looking for a quality reel without spending a dump ton for a line counter or if I even need a line counter reel.

The other thing is what kind of rod should I get for trolling(brand/stiffness/length)?

DepthMaster from Cabelas. Decent reel and rod for a good price. I think you can pick up the combo on sale for as little as $40 but normal prices are around $65 i believe.

Stiffness really depends on the types of baits used and trolling speeds as well. Small lure and slow speeds and i will use a fairly soft rod - typically panfishing. Leadcore pulls more, so it gets a stiffer rod.

Fleetfarm basically the same combo as well, i think its Daiwa. I've got one of each, both perform well. I use them both for leadcore now a days and just long line with an abu garcia or shimano spinning reel if there is no need for leadcore.

The depth master reels are made by Okuma. Good reels for the money.

MR WALLEYE MWS80MCT 8'0" Telescopic Trolling Rod, Medium Action. $80. Just add any bait caster you want and some Sufix Matrix Pro Color Metered Braid .

With the new small dia, lines there is no need for a large line capacity reel. just a reel with a good drag. I would go with 10lb line.

You could go cheaper and just put the Sufix Metered Braid on a spinning rig. Then you can use it for other things too.

For years I used non line counting bait casting reels with a bobber stop tied at 100 and 150 feet for reference points. As far as roods go I usually run 20 or 30 lb braid with it's small diameter so I use softer medium or medium light rods in the 6-10 ft lengths. I usually pick up daiwa sealine 17lc or 27lc reels and pick them up on the online auction sight for $30-$50 dollars shipped.