• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Moose tag again

monstermoose78

I have now applied for over half my life and still have not gotten a minnesota moose tag. I know 16 years is not that many years for some of you , but it ticks me off when people get it the first year they put in. O well I just hope I get the chance to take a moose in minnesota someday!

That's too bad, Monstermoose. What zone have you been applying for? Have you ever applied for a BWCA zone? I drew one after 4 years, and my dad drew the same zone this year, his first year applying. It's getting really tough now, with only one or two tags in many of the areas outside the BWCA. Last year while loading the canoe for our hunt, we met a group who had drawn their first year applying. Obviously a BWCA hunt may not be possible for some, but I believe most people can handle it, and with moose populations and tag numbers dwindling it probably offers your best shot of moose hunting in Minnesota.

I'm sure you have your area you really want to hunt, but if you are interested in finding out where we hunted last year, and where we are going this year, send me a PM.

Good luck in future years, I'd be really bummed if I were in your shoes.

Thanks NoWiser but we have a cabin up the arrowhead trail and I have seen a really nice bull for the last 3 years. Maybe this nice bull will become a monster in 2013. If I ever get a tag I will bring my great grandpa's rifle a 40-72 just in case I get a closer shot. My grandpa would tell me 16 years of putting in is nothing it took him 34 years and my uncle 35 years. My dad got his like this 15th year.

Very cool to follow in their footsteps! Keep applying and your time will come! Last September, on a trip to Grand Marais with my girlfriend, we headed up the Arrowhead one evening and I made some stops to practice my moose calling. I didn't see any moose, but it was some awesome country. Good luck next year!

Six years ago I put in for my first time with a group of 4, and got drawn first try. Meantime, I had scheduled a trophy whitetail hunt in canada, so chose not to moose hunt(had taken 2 in Alaska prior). Opening morning in my stand in Canada, i had what i figured was a 60" bull come below me and bed down for most of my morning hunt. Funny how it works sometimes. BTW, the group did get a 58" bull on 2nd weekend hunt. taz

We drew a tag the first year we applied. We were very happy. When we went to "Moose School" in Ely, we found out why. There were no moose in our zone. The zones that typically have a good harvest rate are very hard to come by. While I was glad we drew a tag, I wish we did our homework and had applied for a better area. We are done for life. You still have a chance. Hang in there and good luck.

We drew a tag the first year we applied. We were very happy. When we went to "Moose School" in Ely, we found out why. There were no moose in our zone. The zones that typically have a good harvest rate are very hard to come by. While I was glad we drew a tag, I wish we did our homework and had applied for a better area. We are done for life. You still have a chance. Hang in there and good luck.

we drew a tag our first year of applying. zone 24. which had something like an 86% success rate for the 8 tags it typically gave out.