• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Picking northern.?

I am in the process of pickling a northern caught over the weekend. It's been soaking in salt water, now it's in white vinegar. Tomorrow, I need to finish it off with the spices and wine.

I am looking for pickling spices and white wine.

I called the local cub foods but they weren't sure, they asked me to call the meat dept in the morning.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

just go to the spice section of any grocery store. They'll have pickling spice.

White wine... you shouldn't have any problem with that. You do not need an expensive wine either....

Good Luck!

Ken

Just a reminder, you did freeze it for a few days first, right?

That is recommended to kill parasites.

You know, that's something I didn't do. The vids and stuff i read didn't say to do so I never did. I guess I can still freeze it anytime during the process and let it thaw again. I know it's best if I would've done it from the start, but I wasn't aware of it. I don't think it would hurt my process. We used to always freeze our sweet pickles when we canned them, and then thaw them out in their containers before eating them. It always tasted good.

OK.

So where can I find some of these $5 silver satin wine? I called a couple of different liquor stores and they don't carry any. Would a white porte wine work?

the freezing time to kill any parisites is 3 days or more. i've never had a problem after doing this and have eaten pickled pike for many years. always nice to be on the safe side. if you cant find silver satin, just get any white wine.good luck.

i wait 7 days. i have seen recipe's that say 3 days or 5 to 7. by 7 days to me the flavor has set in. i have snuck some in 5 days and they were good but a couple of more days and they were better. good luck.

Pickled Northern

2 Heaping Tbsp. pickling salt

1 Cup Silver Satin (white) whine

2 Tbsp. White Vinegar

2 Heaping Tbsp pickling spice

2 Tbsp water

½ cup sugar

Boil above ingredients for 5 minutes. Let cool, than add:

2 Bay leaves

12 Peppercorns

3 Cups white vinegar

2 Sliced onions

Pour over about 2 pounds of cut up, raw fish, in a wide-mouth jar. Let stand in refrigerator for at least 72 hours before eating. All bones will dissolve. It keeps for 3 – 6 months in refrigerator.