• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spoon Plugs?

How many people out here go spoon plugging??

One of my favorite ways to fish in the dog days of summer, but heard it was an old man's technique? Anyway haven't met really anyone else that does it too much, just seeing if people are out there trolling the funny looking spoons?

I do. Buck Perry was a genius. If you read his material on spoonplugging and compare it to today's magazines, you will see that all today's stuff is Mr. Perry's information with different catch phrases to it.

Spoonplugging will catch anything that swims.

I have been member of The Spoonpluggers of America for more than a decade. Buck Perry's principles are as true today as they ever were. I have caught more fish and big fish spoonplugging in metro area lakes that supposedly dont have any big fish in them. Several books and learning guides are around. Ask Josh Stevenson, owner of Blue Ribbon Bait, about his catches using spoonpluggs and Mr. Perry's teachings. Try it you may like it!

I've got a bucketfull of brand new silver & orange spoon plugs that I'm trying to sell off. A whole slew of different sizes. I can take a picture if anyone wants to offer a some money for em! Took me a long while just to figure out what the darn things were called, but thanks to a friend I got it a couple months ago. Stuff left over from a lure hoarding father-in-law that died several years ago.

As "Buck" would say Spoonpluging isn't about a lure, It is a way of going about fishing in a way where you eliminate unproductive water in a timely manner. By starting shallow and working your way deeper.

Spoonplug the lure. The first "dives to" lure.

Every time I get in my boat I'm spoonpluging!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question: Do spoonplugs and other dives-to type lures actually run in their depth "window", with line anywhere from 6-20lb test mono, and speeds of .5mph-5mph?

Or do I need to be more specific in my tackle selection and speed?

I do. Buck Perry was a genius. If you read his material on spoonplugging and compare it to today's magazines, you will see that all today's stuff is Mr. Perry's information with different catch phrases to it.

Spoonplugging will catch anything that swims.

Mr. Perry was responsible for MANY of today's so-called pro's, I give

Lindners credit, as to my knowledge they are the only one to acknowledge

his contributions. I learned most of what I know from reading Fishing

Facts magazine, the same articles still apply. Bet most young guns never

heard of this magazine, I read'em till they were ragged. smile

Quote:
Question: Do spoonplugs and other dives-to type lures actually run in their depth "window", with line anywhere from 6-20lb test mono, and speeds of .5mph-5mph?

What do you think???

When spoonplugs first came out the gear was a 5'solid fiberglass rod, a Penn reel like the Penn 9M Sw and No-Bo Troll fish line.

The No-BO line had no stretch. Now back in the day that was a type of Mono and it was THICK! It was metered with a color every 10 yards.

So if we were to adapt this lure to modern day 10 test metered line. Lets say suffix metered braid. There is a huge line Dia, difference and yes the lure will run deeper then stated.

DO NOT USE MONO WITH SPOONPLUGS! As I said a pool Que of a rod and no stretch line. You want that spoonplug hammering away down there. Plain mono will act like a bunggy cord and take away from the action of the lure. Plus you want to know every thing that lure is doing down there.

Google buckperry .

ty for the tip on mono.

It seems to me that these lures are marketed as a "fish 'em and they always sit in their target zone that we give on the box", which just doesn't make any sense to me.

I have the best results with lures that I know how deep they run on the gear I use.

Bringing back memories....

I have a PF Formula 4 5 foot Rod that was made just for Spoon Plugging. I bought it back in the late 70's.

Do Not forget the Hellbender lure for speed trolling as well.

There use to be a bait shop in Maplewood on White Bear Ave. that sold a lot of spoon plugging and hellbender lure, I believe it was Larry's Livebait.

Quote:
Do Not forget the Hellbender lure for speed trolling as well.

And the Bomber 300 series.

With the dive depth and spoonplugs. When you fish a spoonplug the name of the game is to tick the bottom with the lure. In other words, You get the lure out (lets say 90' or three colors of the line) behind the boat. You start your troll. You feel the lure working but your not hitting bottom. You troll to shallower water and see if you make contact with the bottom. When you do make contact with the bottom look at you depth finder. Now troll out to deeper water until you lose contact, now troll to shallower water until you you make contact again. Repeat! After you have made your trolling run and found no fish let out more line and do it again. if no fish bite put on the next lure size up/deeper diver and go back to 90' behind the boat and do it again (in deeper water). you are now eliminating unproductive water.

You do not free swim a spoonplug. You bang it over humps and let it brake away from the bottom and free swim at the end of the hump. A lot of fish hits happen at the break away point (patterning).

Boat control, speed and depth!

Always be ticking the bottom if you can. Now that is SPOONPLUGGING!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, sorry this took so long. Just got around to digging these out. I have the following and they're all in the color shown below. They are all brand new, unused, and have just been sitting in a tackle box from my late father-in-law who pretty much hoarded any and all tackle if he thought it was unique.

1x 4"

2x 3.5"

1x 3"

2x 2.5"

2x 2"

Make me an offer on any or all of them and we can talk details. If you're close to me, we can arrange a dropoff/pickup, otherwise I'd like shipping paid for. Thanks!

86_4.jpg

I'll take a 3" a 3.5" and a 4"; hows $20 for those three?

20lb, PM me your shipping info or feel free to email me @ acarrell at gmail dot com. You've got a deal. I can get them shipped as soon as I have your info. Might as well have them for the good part of the season right?