• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knot for fluorcarbon?

ShoreGuy1984

"It matters a lot. If the loop is twisted you'll have knot failure with flourocarbon. Some FC's don't work well with a Palomar, P Line is one I could never get to work, Berkely also."

Sounds like we both have had troubles with berkley. What FC do you use?

Gamma and BPS. Gamma's a little better but BPS is excellent line and cheaper.

As i said i've had good luck with the palomar, but on the one fishing show where they test knot strength; the improved cinch held better than a palomar with flouro.

"Im not so much for Fluoro leaders on braid."

I never thought it was important either til last fall walleye fishing. They wouldn't touch my jig when tied dirrectly to the braid, but were all over it when using a flouro leader. Even if it was only 6 inches( after getting boke off a few times! grin I was fishing in rocks below a dam)

"I wish Shaw knew the name of it"

When my wife wanted me to find out the name of the padded balls he uses on his rods, and i couldn't find anything by just googling. I friended him on facebook, then asked him what brand it was. A couple of days later they posted that info for me. Might be worth a try.

Hiya -

There's no free lunch with fluoro. It's a trade-off - ease of handling vs. toughness vs. knot strength vs. longevity...list goes on. It's kind of amazing how finicky it is as a material really.

I finally bit the bullet last season and started going to all high end fluoro after trying it on a few rods the season before. I'm really convinced that with fluoro you get what you pay for. The upside is, the high end stuff does last an amazingly long time. Far longer than cheaper FC, and way, way longer than mono.

Makes the annual line order pretty painful on the wallet though.cry

GooBack - thanks for the confirmation on crossing strands with a Palomar. Like I said, it was something I'd heard several times, but wasn't sure if what I was observing confirmed it or not. When you break 6# line, not always easy to point to the knot as the obvious reason.

Good to hear the abrazx may be decent line. I dont plan to stray from from what i use now, but the seagaur is around if line is needed in a pinch Everything else but that berkley trash is almost impossible to find around the cities