• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knot for fluorcarbon?

ShoreGuy1984

Hey all! Ive started using fluoro last year and have lost many fish due to break offs. I was using the palomar knot, which I now know is a bad knot for fluorcarbon. I looking for a good knot to use with fluorcarbon. Ive heard the Double clinch is one of the best. Is this true? Im a bit confussed on tieing the double clinch because ill watch vids on how to tie it, and three differant people tie differant knots, claiming they are the same..... What do you guys use, and how do you tie it? thanks!!

I still use a polomar with flouro and seldom have any problems, BUT! ( and i realize this may not be the best knot to use)You must have the line wet when you tighten the knot, and do it slowly. Any heat will weaken flouro.

Only time I tie a Palomar is if I'm rigging up a drop shot. Have to be careful not to cross the lines in your loop or it will weaken the knot - or so I'm told.

I've used the San Diego Jam and had good luck. Last year started tying the Eugene bend, which I think I like better.

One thing you do have to remember though is fluoro seems to really vary from brand to brand in terms of knot strength for some reason.

Cheers,

RK

I use the palomar 90% of them time. I use the Double San Diego Jam knot for jerkbaits on flouro because I've noticed they break the palomar too easy when you have to work them hard. If I use a straight shank, which I normally dont, a snell know is used.

I am so not about the braid/fluorocarbon leader deal. I have seen WAY too many issues with that stuff. Be extra careful if using it.

Used to tie a flouro leader to my braid using a blood knot. Broke off at the knot while fishing a dock. think im just gonna go straight braid from now on

Hiya -

For braid to fluoro (which I do all the time for both bass and walleyes) I used to use back to back uni-knots, and it was ok, but every so often one would fail. Switched to the Albright, and have had zero issues since. Very clean knot that goes through guides and over roller bearings easily, and doesn't pick up weeds at all. Easy to tie too.

RK

Braid (power pro, heavier than 20lb test always) to fluoro leader: Back to back uni knots

Fluoro (12/20/25/60lb tests depending on circumstance) leader to lure: uni knot, sometimes loosened with a slight loop for extra action

Never had any line/leader failure issues that I can recall using these setups.

I always lubricate knots with saliva before any tightening.

I think some issues people may have is with certain braids. My brother had some kind of fireline braid, and upon tightening it would cut the fluoro leader. Powerpro, spiderwire stealth, and stren have all been issue-free for me.

First off, id just like to thank everyone for all of the responses already. I really didnt think id get this many so fast, I really appreciate it smile

I noticed some of you guys (Gooback, RK) say the palomar is a great knot for fluoro, but the break offs I get may be due to the fluoro I use, also could be my knot quility. Last year I used Berkley Trilene. This year ill be using Seaguar AbrazX. I have not used the palomar on Seaguar yet, so ill give it a try. To test it, I usualy tie the line to a bigger hook (5/0) and hook it to a 10lbs dumb bell. Im pretty sure my knot quility is okay. I usualy pay good attenion to my knot tieing. I always wet the line before tighting too.

Im not so much for Fluoro leaders on braid. I just always thought its just more spots to break off. Ive never really used a fluoro leader though, so I guess I really shouldnt judge it just yet. But, it is on my list of new stuff to try out this season.

Ive tried tieing the knot that Shaw Gribsy demonstrates, but have not mastered it yet. Every time a tie it, ill pull the loop tabs and the knot comes apart, which doesnt seen secure at all. I do plan on practing it more. I wish Shaw knew the name of it.

Tonka, I have also lost a few jerkbaits using the palomar with fluoro. using jerkbaits is the first way I broke off with fluoro.

Ill test out the Eugene, Trilene, and San Diego Jam tonight after I get the kid to bed!

So, I just very carefully tied the wettest spit covered palomar knot ever, with Seaguar AbrazX and had about 5 pounds of weight on the line/knot. It seems to be holding quite well. The hook was even flexing open a bit. I think a very carefully prepared palomar knot will work with the AbrazX. Im still a bit worried though. I really do not wanna loose another big fish, due to a knot failure. Still practicing the eugene and san diego jam knots. When Alton Jones did the Live Day on the Lake, I asked him what Knots he uses for fluoro, but I cant remember what he said.

Only time I tie a Palomar is if I'm rigging up a drop shot. Have to be careful not to cross the lines in your loop or it will weaken the knot - or so I'm told.

It matters a lot. If the loop is twisted you'll have knot failure with flourocarbon. Some FC's don't work well with a Palomar, P Line is one I could never get to work, Berkely also.

"It matters a lot. If the loop is twisted you'll have knot failure with flourocarbon. Some FC's don't work well with a Palomar, P Line is one I could never get to work, Berkely also."

Sounds like we both have had troubles with berkley. What FC do you use?