• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help, I want the best Skipping setup

CCGinMN

I am looking to purchase a rod and reel (casting, not spinning) specifically dedicated to power skipping (docks) and want to know your opinions on what is the BEST set up for this application. We don't roll cast, we powerskip because we can get another 20 - 30' out of the cast. I am just learning this technique as I have been a walleye fisherman my whole life but two years ago joined a bass fishing league. We primarily skip 3/8 oz jigs but sometimes go down to 1/4 oz. Money isn't a deterent; i want the best. My mentor uses a steez rod with a zillion reel and 40# diawa samari. I'm looking at possibly purchasing a core or PX Type R with an NRX or Cumulus rod (the Zillion reel seems a little heavy). None of my buddies have experience with Dobbyns so let me know if you think that should be considered. So, what is the best setup for skipping 3/8 oz. jigs under docks???

Also, I do appreciate all of your opinions but please refrain from "You should use a spinning setup because it is easier" and "it is all about technique, you can do it with an ugly stick if you have good technique." Those are both valid points but are off topic.

Wow, I just checked that rod out and the MRP is around a grand. I didn't even know they made such an animal. I definitely don't have that kind of budget. I'm hoping to keep the entire setup less than a grand. I can barely justify spending an extra $150 to shave two ounces off of the reel.

Core flip (get it while you still can)

and

either 6-10 MH cumulus or NRX 853C JWR

I like it. The core flip looks like it only has 11 lbs. max drag. I know we don't have a lot of big fish in MN but doesn't that seem light? Also, it weighs close to 7 oz. Wouldn't I be better of with a Core 50 instead? Why the flip version??

you can get the drag more than that by drying out the drag washers.. I have 3 of the core flips and have never had an issue where I thought the drag was not strong enough.

I can only find the core 50FV in a right hand retrieve. I throw with my right hand and don't want to switch hands every cast to reel. I looked at five different on line tackle stores, maybe they only make the FV with a right hand retreive?

Hey Deitz, for this application, would you pick the core flip over the core 50MG? I like the thought of the lighter reel. I also don't think I need the spool capacity of the FV and really want to stay with a left hand retrieve so that I am as efficient as humanly possible.

Core 50MG = 5.5oz, Core 50FV = 6.7oz,

Please excuse my ignorance.

What is Power Skipping?

I'm not sure if "Power skipping" is the technical term or something my buddies just made up. Anyways, it is basically skipping on steroids. Skipping to us is a basic roll cast where you begin at 6 o'clock and bring your rod tip in a full circle and launch your bait when it gets back to 6 o'clock. To us, power skipping is similar to this, but done much, much faster -you really burn your jig in there. This technique also has the ability to give you a backlash that looks much like the box of old, discarded line in the back room fishing department in Cabela's. I mainly do this because I ride as a coangler with many of my buddies. While sitting in the back of the boat, I can put my jig under the dock before most of my buddies sitting in the front can. It gets to be quite a competition. This technique also allows you to sit out from the docks quite a bit further. In theory, we spook less fish this way.

Thanks Dietz!! I was kind of hoping someone would have talked me into a $180 Damaki Dark Angel skipping rod so that i could additionally buy a new punchin' rod. However, this will be my most used setup so I feel like this is the one place where I shouldn't hold back.

OK, so you're skipping a lure hard.

How does a spinning rod hold anybody back here?

Are they are worried about busting their bullet proof Symetre/Stradic?

LOL, nobody is worried about breaking their spinning reel. Spinning setups work just fine. I've chosen a casting rig because I believe it is a little bit faster (more casts per hour), and it is easier on my trigger finger. That being said, there are plenty of people out there that can do it faster than I can using a spinning setup.

OK, so you're skipping a lure hard.

How does a spinning rod hold anybody back here?

Are they are worried about busting their bullet proof Symetre/Stradic?

Kick- its just personal pref.. I too mostly skip with spinning and a bullet proof stradic.. LOL..

There was talk on this board a while ago about some guys that only put a small amount of line on their baitcasters, that way you really can't backlash, otherwise i would say practice, practice, practice.