• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rapala Trolls To/Lead Core

I have seen a lot of talk here regarding lead core. Lead core is used to keep lures deep, and/or at a certain depth right? What do some veterans out there think of the Rapala Trolls To as an alternative? If you're unfamiliar there are a few Rapala Trolls to that are supposed to run (with 100 feet of 10 pound mono) at established depths ranging from 10 to 20 feet.

So is lead core then for situations where a guy needs to troll even deeper? How often are people trolling at 25-50 feet? Also if one of you has a rod/reel set up you love for lead core to get a guy started let me know.

Here's the way i see it.... You've got many different styles of crankbaits. They all have a different action.

At times, the troll to is the action the fish want, and happens to be at the correct depth.

At other times, i want to run a suttle action bait like a floating rapala in 30 feet, this is where leadcore or a downrigger, or trolling weights are used.

I've got deep divers in many varieties, but they barely get used. I find myself running my shallower crankbaits at deeper depths. Therefore i've got TONS of shallow crankbaits...but they're used at all depths.

Here's the way i see it.... You've got many different styles of crankbaits. They all have a different action.

At times, the troll to is the action the fish want, and happens to be at the correct depth.

At other times, i want to run a suttle action bait like a floating rapala in 30 feet, this is where leadcore or a downrigger, or trolling weights are used.

I've got deep divers in many varieties, but they barely get used. I find myself running my shallower crankbaits at deeper depths. Therefore i've got TONS of shallow crankbaits...but they're used at all depths.

Exactly the reason lead core rocks!

I picked up a couple of Trolls-To 20 this winter when they were on sale at gander. I figure they have a unique action, and i will specifically use them on a local lake when the thermocline shows up. Will put the bait RIGHT in the target zone!! Hopefully something bites em...otherwise, it's leadcore and 1 of the other 200 cranks in the box. laugh

trolls to are nice as they get a lot deeper than most crankbaits. The other option I like is the deep tail dancers too. I fished these for a couple years before I went the lead core route (mainly because I didnt want to buy more fishing rods/reels).

lead core is great because it allows you to get any lure deeper. I love fishing a #5 shad rap at 25 ft deep. You can fish a big deep tail dancer at that depth and do OK, but sometimes those smaller lures are what they want.

Leadcore also does a better job following the boat path in the water than long lines, which make them great options on irregular breaks or in rivers.